problem after moving website

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

problem after moving website

Post by lillianfidler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 pm

I upgraded a website to the latest version of Joomla then put it back on it's original server, changed the configuration file to what was there before. The site was working perfectly but now I'm getting the following errors. the site is on a godaddy server and there were some issues before this was done. I was getting some server timeout issues. I am not sure if this is a server issue or a problem with joomla.

here are the errors from the error log

[20-Apr-2018 22:52:36 UTC] PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/sgtoid9/public_html/misslora.com/libraries/import.legacy.php' (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/pear:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/php') in /home/sgtoid9/public_html/misslora.com/administrator/includes/framework.php on line 15
Last edited by toivo on Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: marked as solved on request

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: problem after moving website

Post by toivo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:21 am

The file libraries/import.legacy.php is missing or has got corrupted. You can check what happened by using the File Manager from the cPanel, provided by your host.

Copy the file again to the server and see if that helps. If you see more similar messages, you need to repeat the upload.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:56 pm

I, I copied the files again to the server, but that didn't help, the site looks like a mess :.)

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Perhaps you can help here.

Basically, I have the site here: http://www.loracain.dreamhosters.com/

The website is hosted at godaddy, I don't have the cpanel access to this person's website (misslora.com)

What I did was take the workings site loracain.dreamhosters.com - made a backup and moved it over to msslora.com

I put it in a subfolder and using kickstart, I unpacked the files. The configuration.php file doesn't include the information for the database, so I couldn't complete the install, so I just unpacked the files, then replaced the configuration.php file from misslora.com. The site was working fine, so I took the files from misslora.com and put them in a newfolder and moved the files I had just unpacked to the root folder. The site was working fine for a few days, then I checked and it was not fine.

Now I'm trying to recover but unsure of what moves I should take.

What would you recommend that would get this site up and running quickly?

I appreciate your time.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:40 pm

The Kickstart installer should let you change the database details and the installation will proceed.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:52 pm

lillianfidler wrote:I upgraded a website to the latest version of Joomla then put it back on it's original server ...
??? What did you do? From the sounds of it, you took a working website, copied it somewhere, updated Joomla somehow, and then attempted to reassemble whatever it was you created to the site's original filesystem (but without knowledge of the site's original database). Would that be a reasonable way to summarise how you got into these difficulties in the first place?

Then, to compound matters, you attempted to use Akeeba Kickstart (without replacing the database tables modified as part of the Joomla update ... but who knows what happened) to restore the [updated?/original?} website in a sub-folder of an existing site (without modifying the .htaccess file to change the site's new home, I'm guessing).

And, to cap it off:
lillianfidler wrote:The site was working perfectly but now I'm getting ... errors. The site is on a GoDaddy server and there were some issues before this was done.
These two sentences contract each other. First the site was working perfectly but there were "some issues" before someone started making changes? I don't get it.
lillianfidler wrote:What would you recommend that would get this site up and running quickly?
The answer depends on what you mean by how quickly you expect to be able to get the site restored to any kind of working condition. If you feel like you're out of your comfort zone, it may be worthwhile contacting a professional website developer, skilled in Joomla, to sort these issues out for you.

@Per is correct: Akeeba Kickstart allows you to modify the original database information.

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:13 pm

Below are the steps that I took which I retrieved directly from the forum - I don't have a link to this article, I just copied and pasted it so that I have it on my computer. This post was definitely from someone in the know and I've seen many trustworthy posts from this same person.

I always check with the forum or other sources before doing anything that I am not familiar with. But sometimes still run into difficulty. I am learning however. To be honest, I find your tone kind of condescending and not helpful, I'm just trying to solve a problem. What would be helpful, is if someone could post a detailed step by step of how this works. and what NOT to do. I can see for sure that installing the site to a new database and finishing the akeeba install would be the best route. however, I don't have access to the cpanelto create a new database when restoring/installing with akeeba. Normally I would definitely do that and have many times. Again, the steps below said to reconnect to the original database, so I thought that would work.

here are the steps:

1. Uninstall any untrusted 3rd party extensions and Templates https://vel.joomla.org/live-vel
2. Delete all the files on the server
3. Scan your computer and all computers that have server or Joomla admin access
4. Change Passwords
5. Install Joomla (of the same version) to a new database. Install up to date 3rd party extensions (that are not on the VEL) then edit the configuration.php to connect to the original database. Update Joomla if you have and old version
6. Change your Joomla SU/Admin Passwords and check the users/groups/access levels are correct and not been tampered with. Update your Joomla and run the fpa again

Step #f is simply installing Joomla and 3rd party extensions to an empty database so you get fresh files. Then connect the files to the database that has your data. That gives you your site back. The rest cleans the site and helps keep it secure.

Instead of doing this on the same server, I used akeeba backup and brought it over to my own server (dreamhost) and did the work there, then I put it back on godaddy.

So that's it. I think I've got the problem in hand in any case.

Thank you.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:19 pm

That procedure is for cleaning of hacked sites. Was your site hacked?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 pm

@lillianfidler: If we were to rewrite the opening post in this topic, to me it reads:
I have been working to disinfect a hacked website. I made a backup of the site, transferred the original site to a different hosting environment, followed the recommended sanitising procedure (viewtopic.php?f=714&t=946026), created a backup of the now-clean website that I tested over the course of a few days and to the satisfaction of the owner and then attempted to replace the original [hacked] site with the replacement.

I forgot to drop the database tables and delete the filesystem associated with the original hacked website when I used Akeeba Kickstart. The original site now doesn't work.
Would that be a reasonable summary? I'm not being (and I hope I never would be) condescending: I'm only reflecting to you my understanding of what you wrote. Having an understanding of how people get themselves into trouble is, I think, a good first step in helping them to get out of trouble. We're not psychic, you know.

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 pm

The first paragraph is a very well written summary and I apologize for not being clearer :)

The second paragraph perhaps not so true - I didn't have access to do anything with the database (no cpanel access). I would have preferred to restore to a new database. I didn't forget to delete the filesystem associated with the hacked website. I backed it up and replaced it with the new, cleaned site.

The site is now working again (I replaced the files) however, I'm not confident that this is done correctly. I'm also getting godaddy errors when editing certain things (Hosting server read timeout - http 502 unable to connect to original server). I'm thinking the best course of action may be to contact godaddy and ask them to setup a new database for me. Then start this process over from scratch.

One question I do have: I've been restoring the site to a subfolder to test it before replacing the live site; then deleting the files on the live site (or backing up) and moving the new files in the subfolder to the main directory. Perhaps this is not a good idea?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Remember to adjust tmp and log path in configration.php to reflect the new path.

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:13 pm

That is a good point. thank you

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:35 pm

lillianfidler wrote:One question I do have: I've been restoring the site to a subfolder [located within the original site's filesystem] to test it before replacing the live site; then deleting the files on the live site (or backing up) and moving the new files in the subfolder to the main directory. Perhaps this is not a good idea?
Everyone may have their own view.

In my personal opinion, I avoid all kinds of configuration problems involved with having websites located within the subfolders of other websites (that may, in turn, be located in the subfolders of other websites, etc. etc. ad nauseam) by keeping every website that I work with separated—quarantined, if you like—from one another.

So, yes, people could have a filesystem like this:

/public_html/everything_joomla/
/public_html/everything_joomla/site1
/public_html/everything_joomla/site2
/public_html/everything_joomla/site2/site2A
/public_html/everything_joomla/site2/site2B
/public_html/everything_joomla/site2/site2B/site2BA
/public_html/everything_joomla/site3

(don't ask me where each of these websites' databases reside) or you could do it really simply like this:

/public_html/site1
/public_html/site2
/public_html/site2A
/public_html/site2B
/public_html/site2BA
/public_html/site3

As I say, everyone has their own preferred way of operating but, in discussing this with other professionals, the second approach seems to be the more accepted (or better) practice.

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:44 pm

ok, I see what you mean. I will take that advice.

I do have one additional question though:

if I do the second option:

/pubic_html/site1
/public_html/site2

I guess there would be no way to test the site2 to see if it's working properly? I'm not sure what I would put in as the url to test...

hope this makes sense.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 pm

lillianfidler wrote:If I [create my websites as separate folders, for example]:

/pubic_html/site1
/public_html/site2

I guess there would be no way to test the site2 to see if it's working properly?
I don't understand how you arrived at that conclusion.

I think you've confused physical locations with "logical" locations. This is (kind of) "webcraft 101": where files physically reside on a webhost vs. how to connect the domain name to the file system.

Let's say that you have a wehosting service that allows you to add an "infinite" range of domains. So, let's say that you own the rights to host the following domains:

http://www.mysite.com
http://www.example.net
http://www.sample.org

Within each of the above domains, you also have the right to create subdomains. For example,

http://www.testing.example.net
http://www.demo.example.net
http://www.dev.example.net
http://www.testing.dev.example.net

Using the example filestructure I gave earlier, you could assign the domains to the files like this:

/public_html/site1 ------> http://www.mysite.com
/public_html/site2 ------> http://www.example.net
/public_html/site2A ------> http://www.testing.example.net
/public_html/site2B ------> http://www.demo.example.net
/public_html/site2BA ------> http://www.testing.dev.example.net
/public_html/site3 ------> http://www.sample.org

What's so difficult about that? ???
Last edited by sozzled on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Yes, I understand that. sure.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. It's much appreciated.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue May 01, 2018 7:56 pm

Has this matter been resolved? It would be nice to see some feedback so that the topic can be closed. :)

lillianfidler
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lillianfidler » Tue May 01, 2018 7:58 pm

yes thank you.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”