PATH problems - Can't get Joomla installed

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
mikea105
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

PATH problems - Can't get Joomla installed

Post by mikea105 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 am

I am trying to install Joomla on my Linux Mint computer so I can develop some pages while running in localhost. I've got it mostly done. I got LAMPP to install and got the database started. Got Joomla installed (almost), but then the installation fails, and there are two roadblocks I just can't find any answers to relating to PATHS.

1) The Joomla install says I MUST delete the installation folder. I clicked the button to do that, and it says it can't remove the folder, so I must do so manually. Okay, where is this installation folder located? I installed LAMPP in /opt like the instructions said to do, then put the Joomla archive file in opt/lampp/htdocs and extracted everything there. WHERE is the install folder I'm supposed to delete? Is it someplace in /opt? I have no idea. I can't get out of the install (I'm guessing because of this install folder I can't find to delete problem).

2) The installer also gives me the text of a "configuration.php" file and tells me I need to put that file -- well, somewhere - it doesn't say where. I found one reference that says it should be in the root of my web site. However, I have no idea WHERE that is as I haven't a web site yet. I was hoping to get Joomla installed so I could create a web site on localhost. Is there a reference somewhere (I can't find anything very clear) to tell me how/where to set up a web site on my computer so I can run it under localhost?

Much thanks in advance to anyone who can give me an idea where to go from here!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: PATH problems - Can't get Joomla installed

Post by AMurray » Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 am

If you're on localhost (it doesn't matter what server software you use) the "root" folder is where-ever you install Joomla, so for example, using your folder structure as mentioned in your question, the installation folder would be in the file structure like this:

Code: Select all

opt/lampp/htdocs/your-site-name/installation
I don't know why the installer script won't delete it. Perhaps check the folder's permissions

The configuration.php file should be located in whatever folder you installed Joomla in, for example:

opt/lampp/htdocs/your-site-name
When you browse the site it should be like http://localhost/your-site-name.

If it's not in a sub-folder then the paths are like:

opt/lampp/htdocs/installation
and the configuration file should be in

opt/lampp/htdocs/
Your local site URL would be simply, http://localhost.

But from the trouble you describe, this sounds a bit outside the box when it comes to what is supposed to be a straightforward installation process. Assuming you downloaded the full Joomla 3.8.7 from https://downloads.joomla.org/ and then followed the instructions here: https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing_Joomla, I don't know what else to suggest if it hasn't worked for you.

Can you try running the Forum Post Assistant utility and post the resulting report to a reply here.
viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

mikea105
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: PATH problems - Can't get Joomla installed

Post by mikea105 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:15 pm

THANKS VERY MUCH! Your answer was spot on, using the second set of paths. It didn't create a folder with the name of the site, and that's what had me confused. But after I followed your instructions and changed permissions on the htdocs folder, everything works! Thanks again.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”