Installation of 3.8.10 Fails

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
capnmac
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation of 3.8.10 Fails

Post by capnmac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Hello.

I tried searching the forum and I even did some of the things suggested but I am having no luck installing Joomla.

First, I downloaded the installation package and unzipped it on my local machine. I then FTPed the files to my hosted server. I already have several Joomla installations running on that hosted server so I know I meet the requirements.

I go to http://capnmacc.ipower.com/droppedlines/ and the URL changes to http://capnmacc.ipower.com/droppedlines ... /index.php and then I get this error.

"Failed to start the session"

So I deleted that set of files and uploaded the ZIP file and extracted it on the server.

When I try running the install now, it still fails with the message above.

Any thoughts on how I could resolve this?

Thanks,

Eric

CookieOfficial5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation of 3.8.10 Fails

Post by CookieOfficial5 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:40 am

I see a default install page when I access the link

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 am

I also see the normal Joomla installation screen. It would seem the problem is not Joomla related and could have been some temporary glitch with the hosting. All you need to do is proceed and install Joomla.

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing_Joomla
We are seeing the "Step 1" screen as shown in this documentation.

If you still see the same problem reported, try a different web browser (I see the normal installation screen with Firefox).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:59 am

Can you try enabling PHP error reporting (either in the configuration.php file),and/or the php.ini file if you have access to do that, or through some other means, possibly in the cPanel, or .htaccess file (I''m not sure what options you have available to change such server settings).

Error reporting may provide a more extensive detail other than "Failed to start session". Also you could look for any log files that may be of use - your hosting provider could assist with that. there could also be an installation log that has a detailed error message (should be in a folder called "log" in the folder you're installing Joomla in).

One last thing, perhaps check the file permissions are correct - 644 for files, 755 for folders is the requirement for Joomla.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”