Quickstart Installation Issue on Localhost

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
kapsmax
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Quickstart Installation Issue on Localhost

Post by kapsmax » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 am

Hello, this is Kapil. I am facing an issue for quickstart template installation. I am taking following steps:

1. Xampp service is on.
2. Created website folder in htdocs
3. extracted quickstart template in the folder
4. created database in phpmyadmin
5. when i am going to joomla web installer it is still taking me back to the standard joomla template

I am not able to install the quickstart template. Please help. Am I missing any step or making any mistake?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Quickstart Installation Issue on Localhost

Post by AMurray » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:33 am

What do you mean "taking you to the standard joomla template"? There shouldn't be a template, before you actually install Joomla. Note quick-start package includes joomla, not something you install into an existing joomla site.

it would help to know what template or package you're trying to install and where you downloaded it.

You would start the install, same as normal, browsing to www.yoursite.com/install. This should start the installation and it should look like the standard installer screen, nothing really different about that.

For Quickstart packages, you have to start this as if it's a clean install.

For a template only package, that should be installed like any other extension, but then you have to enable the template in the template manager. You might then need to clear the cache, in order to see the template you're actually wanting to use - but be aware, the template only doesn't usually include all the plugins and sample data.

Hope I'm understanding your question and not providing misleading answers.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

kapsmax
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kapsmax » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 am

Hi, am I making any mistake in the installation. I am starting the installation with localhost/mysitename. Is there anything that I am missing? I am doing a fresh installation.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:03 am

If you need assistance installing Joomla, then https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing_Joomla is the place to start, which shows you step by step what to do, and has screenshots of the various steps also. It appears you have done all the initial preparation correctly, but I still don't know what you mean by your step 5 listed:
kapsmax wrote:1. Xampp service is on.
2. Created website folder in htdocs
3. extracted quick-start template in the folder
4. created database in phpmyadmin
5. when i am going to joomla web installer it is still taking me back to the standard joomla template
Is it possible you can provide a screenshot of the screen(s) that you see (at your "step 5") and post those to a reply? We need to see what you are seeing, and can't do that "live" since you're working on localhost. I don't know if there's a restriction before you can start adding attachments on the forum but in any case, click the "preview" button and then below the message window you will see the tab "Attachments" in which you can add images/screenshots etc.

Please advise what quick-start package you are using; it might be an issue with that which we can't help with, and you will need to go back tot he template developer. Someone may be able to obtain it and try to replicate the problem.

Can you try something else in the mean time. Download the official joomla package from https://downloads.joomla.org and try installing joomla that way? (try this in a diffent sub-folder in your XAMPP htdocs and also create a second database for this test.)
Regards - A Murray

kapsmax
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kapsmax » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:15 am

joomla.jpg
Here is the screenshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:54 pm

@kapsmax you did not any of Andy's requests. Read and reply

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 pm

The screenshot doesn't really help much, but I am thinking that you are trying to install a quick-start package (or indeed even the official download package) into an existing site, which can't be done - since the site already exists. You need to "clean-install" the quick-start in a separate, empty folder.

If you are trying to install a new template, then you need the template-only package - whether free or purchased and install that through Extension Manager as you would any other extension.
Regards - A Murray

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”