How to uninstall / reinstall Joomla locally? Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Vlad Ghitulescu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to uninstall / reinstall Joomla locally?

Post by Vlad Ghitulescu » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am

Hey!

I've installed Joomla 3.9.2 locally on my Mac running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 via MAMP Version 5.2 (351) and after a while I've managed somehow to damage it:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-17 um 10.01.57.png
I couldn't solve this and because I only had very few articles I wanted to delete everything and start new again.

How can I uninstall / reinstall Joomla (again locally on my Mac with MAMP)?

Thanks!

Regards,
Vlad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to uninstall / reinstall Joomla locally?

Post by imanickam » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 am

Uninstalling Joomla! can be done by simply deleting the files (along with sub-directories and their content) from the directory where Joomla was installed earlier. Also, you could drop the database (used for the earlier Joomla site created) through utilities such phpMyAdmin.

Both the actions above will leave no trace of the Joomla installation done earlier.

After the above steps you could do a fresh install of Joomla just like you have done it earlier.

Note:
Hope you have installed Joomla in a sub-directory under the directory htdocs. If not, please do so this time when you are installing Joomla! If in fact, if Joomla was installed in the directory htdocs then care must be taken to remove only Joomla! related files and sub-directories. The files and sub-directories of Joomla can be found once you install Joomla in a sub-directory First and then check what files (and sub-directories) were created.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Vlad Ghitulescu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to uninstall / reinstall Joomla locally?

Post by Vlad Ghitulescu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am

imanickam wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 am
Uninstalling Joomla! can be done by simply deleting the files (along with sub-directories and their content) from the directory where Joomla was installed earlier. Also, you could drop the database (used for the earlier Joomla site created) through utilities such phpMyAdmin.

Both the actions above will leave no trace of the Joomla installation done earlier.

After the above steps you could do a fresh install of Joomla just like you have done it earlier.

Note:
Hope you have installed Joomla in a sub-directory under the directory htdocs. If not, please do so this time when you are installing Joomla! If in fact, if Joomla was installed in the directory htdocs then care must be taken to remove only Joomla! related files and sub-directories. The files and sub-directories of Joomla can be found once you install Joomla in a sub-directory First and then check what files (and sub-directories) were created.
IManickam, thank you very much!

I have installed Joomla directly in htdocs
Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-18 um 09.09.59.png
and NOT in a sub-directory, because I didn't know better and was following this instructions.

I'll do so next time for sure… and I hope I don't delete some MAMP-related files now.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Vlad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”