[SOLVED] Could not open archive part file and JInstaller: :Install: Can't find XML setup file.

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

[SOLVED] Could not open archive part file and JInstaller: :Install: Can't find XML setup file.

Post by LukeDouglas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 pm

For the record, I have updated all of my client websites for new Joomla updates multiple times over the years with none of these issues.

So I tried to update Joomla on multiple websites via Joomla Update component and got this error message:

Code: Select all

ERROR:
Could not open archive part file WEBSITEFOLDER/Joomla_3.9.8-Stable-Update_Package.zip for reading.  Check that the file exists, is readable by the server and is not in a directory made out of reacy by chroot open_basedir restrictions or any other restriction put in place by your host.
So I downloaded the update patch file to install and got this error message:

JInstaller: :Install: Can't find XML setup file.
The Joomla package cannot be installed through the Extension Manager. Please use the Joomla! Update component to update Joomla.
I attempted install via 'Install from URL' using this URL https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla ... ackage.zip and got the same error message as above.''

I attempted using the Upload & Update but got the same error message as above.

I uploaded the Joomla package update to the 'tmp' folder in the website root and attempted to install via URL and got this error message:

Error
Please enter a package folder.
Unable to find install package
So basically I can't update Joomla. What can I do?
Last edited by LukeDouglas on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Could not open archive part file and JInstaller: :Install: Can't find XML setup file.

Post by sozzled » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:45 pm

LukeDouglas wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 pm
For the record, I have updated all of my client websites for new Joomla updates multiple times over the years with none of these issues.
For the record, attempting to update Joomla using the Extensions Manager just plain doesn't work. You need to use the Joomla! Update component to update Joomla.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Could not open archive part file and JInstaller: :Install: Can't find XML setup file.

Post by LukeDouglas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 pm

sozzled,

I agree I should use the Joomla! Update component but it's simply not working.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:51 pm

LukeDouglas wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 pm
I attempted install via 'Install from URL' using this URL ...
I cannot find an option to "Install from URL" in the Joomla! Update component. Please show us a screenshot where you see this option. Thanks.

If you are attempting to use Extensions » Manage » Update (which has an "Install from URL" feature to update extensions) this does not work if you want to update Joomla (as I wrote before).
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 pm

LukeDouglas wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 pm
I agree I should use the Joomla! Update component but it's simply not working.
What do you mean, "it's ... not working"?

I suggest you post the [BBcode] report generated by the Forum Post Assistant.

Sounds like your webserver is not properly configured.

EDIT: I see that this topic has been marked as "SOLVED". How did you solve this?
Last edited by sozzled on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: [SOLVED] Could not open archive part file and JInstaller: :Install: Can't find XML setup file.

Post by LukeDouglas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:57 pm

The issue was simpler than I thought and totally unexpected. The 'tmp' file setting in the Global Configuration was change but not by me. For some reason, Norton Password Manager is flagging that field as a username field and was putting in my last Username into the field!!!! WTF

Once I changed it back to the proper 'tmp' file URL, it worked fine.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: [SOLVED] Could not open archive part file and JInstaller: :Install: Can't find XML setup file.

Post by sozzled » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”