How to repair missing com_finder ( smart search...) Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderators: General Support Moderators, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
mikerotec
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

How to repair missing com_finder ( smart search...)

Post by mikerotec » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 pm

We've had issues with Smart Search in the distant past, and I believe we uninstalled it quite some time ago.

However, it is not discoverable for re-install. Poking around, I see that no entry exists in the _extensions table for it, though both the com_finder folders ( site and administrator ) do exist and appear to be fully populated.

I keep reading references to "reinstall core files" in the Joomla Update component, but my Joomla update component has no such feature.

running Joomla! 3.9.23

is there somewhere that I can download this (core) com_finder extension separately?

thanks in advance

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: How to repair missing com_finder ( smart search...)

Post by sozzled » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 pm

mikerotec wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 pm
Is there somewhere that I can download this (core) com_finder extension separately?
The short answer to your question is no.

Uninstalling core components fro the J! CMS package is not recommended. In fact it's not that easy to do this.
mikerotec wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 pm
I keep reading references to "reinstall core files" in the Joomla! Update component, but my Joomla! Update component has no such feature.
Can you provide authoritative references to what you've researched, please? Perhaps also some screenshots of what you see on the Joomla! Update pages of your website.

Finally, in order to comprehend better the make up of your environment, you may want to consider using the Forum Post Assistant.

https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

mikerotec
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How to repair missing com_finder ( smart search...)

Post by mikerotec » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:31 am

Well, I was doing my best to clean out old manifests, and after one in particular, the next refresh did indeed give the option to reinstall the finder. Its reinstalled and working fine now. I did eventually get the 'reinstall core files' option on update as well ( had to clear some caches or something?) Anyway all's well that ends well. Finder working and all the old dead manifests are finally cleaned out. Part of the problem i found was two naming conflicts between old (ancient?) admin components and newer system components. This site has had a long long road of upgrades from 1.5-2.5-3.x to now!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”