Issues installing Joomla 3.x on Windows Server 2016

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderators: General Support Moderators, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
hockeyfan28
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Issues installing Joomla 3.x on Windows Server 2016

Post by hockeyfan28 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:12 am

Doing some learning on my own and have had extreme difficulty getting Joomla to install on Windows Server 2016. For sense of where I started, I ran through steps on the link below with the exception of installing MySQL on a separate internal server as opposed to installing on the same host as the web server.

https://websiteforstudents.com/install- ... p-support/

Have used various combinations of XAMPP Control Panel (both 8.0 package & 7.4.13) and a stable Joomla release, both 3.9.23 and 3.9.20 and encounter the same issue that I am hamstrung on. Each package of XAMPP that I have tested with has both the newest PHP version 8.00 or the the more established prior version to ensure the newest PHP does not have compatibility issues.

Anyway, I have a Windows Server 2016 host that was installed with IIS running on port 80. It has a primary NAT interface and a secondary Host-Only interface with fixed internal address (using Virtualbox). I then installed the XAMPP control panel with Apache, PHP, Perl, & PHPmyAdmin tools (minus MySQL). Since 80 was in use, I had Apache listen on 8080 instead and can get to the Joomla install page no problem. A separate internal MySQL host is stood up with all the appropriate firewall rules and permissions that connecting to the database is no issue. MySQL host has only a Host-Only interface enabled.

In a nutshell, I get to the Step 3 / Overview page after clicking the "Next" button on the two prior pages without issue. I get to the last step and click "Install" at the bottom of the page and clicking takes me to the top of the page for the last step, but never moves forward. It just hangs and never completes. Feels like a PHP issue, but having no luck. Any help would be appreciated

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Issues installing Joomla 3.x on Windows Server 2016

Post by AMurray » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:31 am

I can barely understand all of your techno-explanation but it seems outside the typical install for Joomla.

Can you get joomla installed using XAMPP where MySQL/MariaDB is on the same localhost?

For a separate MySQL server I assume you specify the IP or the http:// address of the server.

(Thinking in simple terms here....): did you assign the appropriate MySQL permissions to the database user...and/or create the database before hand (I think the install script is capable of creating the DB as long as the MySQL user has the correct permissions).

Does turning on PHP error reporting reveal any clues as you say you suspect PHP problems?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

hockeyfan28
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hockeyfan28 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:58 am

Capture.PNG
Whether I install MySQL on the same host as where XAMPP is installed, or more securely set up MySQL on a separate host, the same problem persists. The connection to the database has absolutely no issue. The issue is on Step 3 / Overview of the Joomla installer where clicking the Install button does absolutely zero. The snapshot below is where I get and Joomla takes me no further. As if Install button does not work at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:16 am

Check with your Host the following
Database Host name
Database name
Database user name
Database user password
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 am

The screenshot shows "Server Name" as "localhost".

If as you have said, MySQL is on a separate server (physical machine I assume that means), shouldn't it have the separate server name (URL) or IP address? (I don't know how those remote connections work, I always have worked with sites where MySQL resides on the same server as the site).

Can you connect to the remote MySQL with your SQL admin tool (like phpMyAdmin or whatever is at your disposal)?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

hockeyfan28
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hockeyfan28 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Understood the snapshot shows the instance where I tried to install Joomla and MySQL on the same host. I have tried both scenarios with a separate MySQL host on CentOS (utilize its DNS hostname I have configured) as it should be and MySQL on the same localhost as Joomla. I get the same result where the Install button on Step 3 does nothing and does not advance. The database doesn't seem to be the source of the problem as I can log into the host at the operating system (OS) and the database level without problem as either root or as joomlauser account that Joomla needs to use. Joomlauser account has both local and remote accessible permissions. If it was a permissions problem on the database, I would not be able to advance past Step 2 where the database configuration and connection happens, I would think. That is not the case as I do not get any connection error when moving past the second step / tab.

See updated screenshot to clarify where the issue is. Sorry, I've been spinning cycles on this for quite a bit and can't figure where the issue is.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 pm

G'day, hockeyfan28. I'm totally out of my depth with Windows Server 2016 (so I won't attempt to address such questions) and I haven't use XAMPP for several years (so I won't go there, either). However, non-functioning web forms (or GET requests that fail to complete within a certain time)—in general—can be examined by looking at how the webserver is configured, e.g. whether the server has sufficient "quotas" to allow for CGI scripts to complete as well as whether the right permissions have been put in place to allow these scripts to do their "thing".

That's a long-winded way of saying (a) I don't know, and (b) I would be guessing if I pretended to know the answer in your case.

From a file permissions perspective, I'm also out of my depth with how Windows Server 2016 does things but I would guess that the AMP stack (e.g. XAMPP, Wampserver, and other derivatives) should take care of what the OS allows and doesn't allow. That would be looking at things from the "Apache" (or Apache-like) viewpoint.

From the MySQL viewpoint, assuming that you've assigned full permissions to the DB username in the MariaDB database (and you're using mysqli as the interface between the backend scripting language—in this case PHP—and the DB), you wouldn't even get to "Screen 3" if those things weren't setup properly. So I think we can probably eliminate the "M" part of the AMP stack here.

This now leads use to the "P" part: PHP. Setting up your own PHP environment is a bit of a dark art and various AMP products do a horrible job when allocating default values to PHP environmental variables. That's why, when I play around with self-hosted—AMP based—websites and Joomla, I have a sledgehammer-like approach to how I set PHP settings. Without knowing how you have setup your PHP environment, the rough guide is "documented" at https://docs.joomla.org/Setting_up_Apac ... guring_PHP. It's not at all helpful in suggesting what critical PHP settings should be set to. Perhaps a better place you could try (again, taking a series of "lucky dip" guesses) is https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing ... i_Settings.

In the face of protestations from other members of the community w.r.t PHP 8, the short answer is that PHP 8 may work or it may not work. Some people claim it works (and that's nice to know) but there is no specific version of PHP that is guaranteed to work and is "officially" supported by the J! project for J! 3.x (see https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements). We can only say that J! 3.x should run with some versions of PHP but not necessarily on all of them; we can definitely say that not all J! extensions are compatible with whatever version of PHP people are currently using. So it's a bit of a "luck of the draw" what version of PHP you may choose.

I've played with PHP 8; it's a mixed bag. :laugh:

From my quick investigation of J! usage, PHP 8 is not reported as being used on any J! websites (but, in saying that, that doesn't prove or disprove anything).

Having now exhausted my total knowledge of the vagaries of the OS and whatever AMP stack you're using, it's back to you to review some of what I've written and see if it points you in a more fruitful direction. Aside from that, it may help to show us the environment that you're working with by using the Forum Post Assistant. Best of luck. :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:27 pm

Try https://stackoverflow.com/questions/902 ... ay-message with your database credentials.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein.

xman-logan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xman-logan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:51 pm

There might be some libraries missing for PHP. You should also ensure that the firewall is open as it is installed on separate hosts. On a local machine you should not have any issue with localhost, however you should pay attention to the php version. Too New or too old!

That was my two cents.
Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”