Is Joomla 3.9.24 php 8 compatible?

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Is Joomla 3.9.24 php 8 compatible?

Post by darb » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:35 pm

Hi

my host have implemented php 8 and I tested that to Joomla 3.9.24 sites but get an "error" so it doesnt work.

Q: Is Joomla 3.9.24 compatible with php 8 yet ?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Is Joomla 3.9.24 php 8 compatible?

Post by toivo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Did you install just Joomla 3.9.24 out-of-the-box or did you upgrade an existing site to 3.9.24?

Do you have any further details about the "error"?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:50 pm

Hi Toivo

no I update an existing site(s) and I checked 3 sites similar structure and setup.

I have Admin Tools htaccess maker FW etc on all of them. Dont know if its any extensions of Joomla 3.9.24 that is the problem.

Does Joomla 3.9.24 works for anyone?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 pm

There has been an odd problem reported in the forum in connection with 3.9.24 but the issue has most likely been caused by some third party extension that does not support latest version of PHP. Maybe also some template override that has not been refactored.

My test site on Windows 10 localhost works happily in PHP 8.0.1 and has a few third party extensions.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:13 pm

OK will see how it works will test more soon. There is one interesting thing for performance and wonder how Joomla 4 working with it "The most discussed feature of PHP 8.0 is PHP JIT (Just In Time Compiler). JIT is set to increase the speed of an application by the technique used to handle the compilation of the scripts." https://www.cloudpanel.io/blog/php-8.0- ... or-update/

ripley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ripley » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 am

Hi!

I just stumbled on this, as Joomla! 3.9.25 seemingly is not fully compatible with PHP 8.0.2. Namely Weblinks component gives me "Page not found" with error message

Code: Select all

0 Attempt to modify property "params" on null 
If there's a solution, I'm all interested.

My setup is Xampp 8.0.2 on Win 10, and the site on localhost is upgraded as opposed to fresh install.

Update:

Tested this also on a fresh install. Weblinks is now no more included on default Joomla installation. Also trying to install it via "Install from Web" fails with error manifest file not found. Dowloaded package from JED installs OK, but gives the same error as above.

Maybe someone more competent than me could look at the component?

frostmakk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by frostmakk » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am

Weblinks has been decoupled from Joomla core and are maintained separately at https://github.com/joomla-extensions/weblinks
If you visit the repo and notice all the issues and pull request being ignored, you will see that this extension does not have a very high priority among the developers at the moment.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”