Getting 404 after site restored on localhost Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Akeeba backup restoration of J3 site

Post by aliteejay » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:59 am

sozzled wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:54 pm
What, exactly, did you "try" [to do]? If you don't know what you did then we can't help you. If you know what you did then please tell us exactly, step by step, what you did.
What i was able to do is restore akeeba backup to subdomain of my live site, that worked fined, what am trying to do, is do the same on xampp localhost, however when i use filezilla upload to localhost, then import the database, it worked, what am i not getting here

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Getting 404 after site restored on localhost

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:05 am

That is just the php error notification setting. It can be edited in global config but not a problem if left 'as is'.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

aliteejay wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:59 am
What i was able to do is restore akeeba backup to subdomain of my live site, that worked fined, what am trying to do, is do the same on xampp localhost, however when i use filezilla upload to localhost, then import the database, it worked, what am i not getting here
Restore the backup to localhost instead of using FileZilla and importing the database

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:57 pm

What is the difference between this topic and the other topic created by the OP?

Please explain the difference.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:35 pm

@sozzled
I had already reported it as post the same question in multiple places (at least I thought I had. Have reported it again. Have you reported it previously?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:38 pm

Yes, @Webdongle. I’ve reported both topics before and the reports were dismissed. It’s fairly clear to me that the OP either does not know how to use a PC-hosted web server or is just wasting everyone’s time.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:53 pm

So that is once by you and once by me reported but not merged. I agree with your sentiment because ... the OP says he said in the other thread
"What i was able to do is restore akeeba backup to subdomain of my live site, that worked fined, what am trying to do, is do the same on xampp localhost, however when i use filezilla upload to localhost, then import the database"

So one method works, he then uses a different method that he can't get to work.

School holidays?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:59 pm

We have made several suggestions to the OP about using Akeeba Kickstart with links to documentation and videos. The OP really does not understand how to set up XAMPP. I don’t believe the “one method works and the other doesn’t work” theory, especially if the OP is talking about one website that they’re have problems with. Makes no sense to me.

As far as “altering” quoted texts (mentioned by @toivo above), I reworded the original quote to reflect my understanding of what the OP meant. The words used by the OP originally don’t make any sense. The forum moderators could help a bit more.

Going back to the beginning: where is the “404 error”? Has this been solved? If the “404 error” has been resolved there’s no point in prolonging this discussion and it should be marked as solved (and probably locked).

The OP should not attempt to use PHP 8.1 with J! 3.x. If the OP is still using PHP 8.1—I wouldn’t know, it’s unclear to me what is going on here—then it’s pointless continuing to offer suggestions about “restoring” a J! 3.x website on XAMPP with PHP 8.1 in place until the OP tries something different, e.g. use PHP 7.4 instead. Otherwise the discussion will just go around in never-ending circles.

The OP needs to answer some questions. The Forum Post Assistant report may give some answers; it may not. I don’t know anymore.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:09 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:59 pm
... I don’t believe the “one method works and the other doesn’t work”,...
That's not what I said. "a different method that he can't get to work". Emphasis on
he can't get to work
. In any case it's not a theory because the OP describes getting one method to work but not the other.

In any case the OP is either totally confused or pranking us.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:27 pm

Except for the last sentence, I’m sorry but I didn’t understand the rest of what you wrote, mate. It maybe the case that the OP is confused; it may also be the case that the “expert” advice is confused and confusing. It’s certainly the case that the forum moderators haven’t much of an idea what to do to help.

And let me be crystal clear here, @Webdongle: you are not very clear in what you write and, if I assume the wrong meaning from what you write, it’s not entirely my fault. You assume that we understand your meaning. Evidently, even though we both speak and write English, we’re talking in different languages.

It doesn’t cost much to write a few extra words to explain what one means. If you want to “emphasise” certain things, then write a few extra words to clarify what you mean. If the OP can’t get something to work, what is it that we know that can’t be gotten to work? I don’t know, you don’t know, and the OP doesn’t have much of a clue as well. Confusing, isn’t it?

Generally feeling pretty sad here and, in any case, this panel discussion is not assisting the OP.

I want to know if the “404 error” has been resolved. Can we please remain focused on that issue?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:30 am

TLDR

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:48 am

Here is the short version: let's fix the "404 error", OK?

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:24 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am
aliteejay wrote:
Restore the backup to localhost instead of using FileZilla and importing the database
I appreciate you, have done this on 2 different pc, countless times, just isn't doing that, am sure is window setting, hence the topic

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:17 pm

aliteejay wrote:
sozzled wrote:
What, exactly, did you "try" [to do]? If you don't know what you did then we can't help you. If you know what you did then please tell us exactly, step by step, what you did.
That is not "step by step" explanation of what you did but it doesn't matter. You don't know how to use XAMPP so you may as well forget about using it.

FYI, Wampserver is more popular than XAMPP. 8)

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:37 pm

sozzled wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:17 pm
aliteejay wrote:
sozzled wrote:
That is not "step by step" explanation of what you did but it doesn't matter. You don't know how to use XAMPP so you may as well forget about using it.

FYI, Wampserver is more popular than XAMPP. 8)
Your assumptions, your opinion is a fundamental right, there are other knowledgeable users on this forum, whom are apparently more helpful than just expressing private opinion & superstitions, obviously your statement isn't informative

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:00 pm

@aliteejay

I am not going to contribute to this thread any more. You already have another thread on the same subject and @sozzled is correct. You contradict yourself in the posts that you make.

Bye Bye

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:15 pm

Mod note: the two topics have now been merged.

@aliteejay, please do not cross post in the future. Create one topic when it is about a particular website or localhost having one type of an issue. If the issues are totally different, post two topics in relevant sub forums.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:03 pm

toivo wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:15 pm

@aliteejay, please do not cross post in the future. Create one topic when it is about a particular website or localhost having one type of an issue. If the issues are totally different, post two topics in relevant sub forums.
Appreciate your input, however i had 2 issue, one was restoration of akeeba to localhost server, the other one is migration & upgrade to J4, if some individual don't can distinguish the difference, i can not help that, what i can control is appreciate the useful inputs, you & couple others provide, have been able do the migration, am having issue with the new control panel, kind of new help, restoring the administrator module to default setting, where should i post this

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Like @Webdongle, I'm unsubscribing myself from this discussion and not contributing to it further.

The subject of this discussion is "Getting 404 after site restored on localhost". I have asked you if you are still getting this "404"; you have not answered that question.

aliteejay wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:03 pm
... have been able do the migration, am having issue with the new control panel, kind of new help, restoring the administrator module to default setting, where should i post this
This is a rambling, confused list of issues. On the one hand you claim(ed) that you could not migrate your website(s) from J! 3 to J! 4 but now you've written that you've migrated at least one website. I don't know what you are now describing. What "issue" are you having with the new control panel. What are you talking about?

You've asked where you should post your confused list of "issues". Do not post a list of issues in one topic. Create separate topics for each individual issue. That's how self-help forums work. That's how this forum works. When you complicate matters by creating multiple topics that are related to one another, that's when the moderators will intervene and merge them together. Keep it simple. Focus on one topic at a time.

The focus of this topic should remain on "Getting 404 after site restored on localhost". If that issue has been resolved then mark it as resolved and move on to the next problem. Have you fixed the "404" problem? Yes or no. If you've fixed that then don't use this topic to talk about other unrelated matters like ... "the new control panel" (whatever that means).

If you want help with the new control panel, create a topic for it and describe the symptoms of that problem. If you want help with restoring the administrator module to its "default setting"—I don't know what you're talking about—create a new topic for the issue, describe the problem, show us screenshots of the module and be engaged. Being engaged doesn't mean "I tried that and it doesn't work" or visiting the forum once a week and not informing us of your progress. This topic (or these merged topics) started a month ago and we haven't any idea what you've been doing in that time. It's up to you to tell us: we're not magicians; we're not mind-readers.

We can't help you if you can't describe and follow-through on at least one issue at a time. When you bundle together a number of different "issues", when you cannot answer simple questions with yes or no (for example, "Have you resolved the 404 matter") what hope do we have in being able to assist you? In effect, by not describing what's going on, clearly and simply, you're wasting your time ... and our time.

Your issue is that you do not understand how to use Joomla, much less than you do not understand how to use a technical self-help forum. If you want someone else to do this job for you, there are plenty of professional website developers who can do that (but don't ask me to do that). Good luck and good-bye from me.

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:00 pm

aliteejay wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:03 pm
toivo wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:15 pm

Appreciate your input, however i had 2 issue, one was restoration of akeeba to localhost server, the other one is migration & upgrade to J4, if some individual don't can distinguish the difference, i can not help that, what i can control is appreciate the useful inputs, you & couple others provide, have been able do the migration, am having issue with the new control panel, kind of new help, restoring the administrator module to default setting, where should i post this
Sir, webdongle & couple of others on this forum, been always tolerant & helpful, the only genius announce my level or lack of sufficient knowledge of Joomla, is you, so do not abuse my intellect, please sir allow me try assimilate whatever i can, abeg you please

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:24 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:28 pm
Also be aware, ensure you're using a correct release of XAMPP because it only ships with a specific PHP version (e.g. with 7.4 or 8.0 or 8.1 according to their download page (at the time of writing).

As Joomla 3.10 doesn't run on PHP 8.1 or higher, I would suggest using WAMPServer instead of XAMPP, because one advantage is you can install additional PHP versions by way of add-ins and can choose the PHP version you want to work with on the fly without reinstalling the server software (as you would need to do with XAMPP).
Cheers, you are appreciated, been able do the migration & upgrade to J4,

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”