Spam registration despite Captcha

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
keora
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Spam registration despite Captcha

Postby keora » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi Folks!

Got the problem a few people already had, but unfortunately I found no solution for mine.

I got spam registrations on my joomla website despite having a captcha- and re-captcha form.

The accounts can't do nothing as they have to click on the link in the registration confirmation e-mail.

Still it's annoying and I have to delete them manually.

So how can I stop the bots from trying to register? The captcha doesn't work apperantly - does anyone know why?!

-> www.keora.at

Thanks a lot pals.#

Stefaj

sozzled
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Spam registration despite Captcha

Postby sozzled » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:57 pm

keora wrote:The captcha doesn't work apparently - does anyone know why?!
I do not see any CAPTCHA on your website when someone tries to register an account. Can you please explain what you mean when you write "the CAPTCHA does not work [apparently]"?

Have you enabled the CAPTCHA plugin? Have you created the appropriate site and secret keys? What version of CAPTCHA are you trying to use? What version of Joomla are you trying to use?
@sozzled2904 - http://www.kuneze.com/blog
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby AMurray » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:34 am

The capture works on registrration form, see image.

capture-visible.PNG

Perhaps it has already been fixed ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby AMurray » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 am

The Google Recaptcha is there. Is the OP saying there shoud be another one? never heard of that beign done, maybe it causes a conflict and you can only have one kind of "captcha" in a form.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby mandville » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:56 pm

the op states they have 2
I got spam registrations on my joomla website despite having a captcha- and re-captcha form.

so i suspect a conflict
post the fpa results as per normal
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{Community.Connect Administrator }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Per Yngve Berg » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 pm

http://www.keora.at/index.php/dein-konto/registrierung points to a custom registration form without the captcha.

sozzled
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby sozzled » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks, @Per. That was the page I looked at.

I was puzzled that some other pages on the OP's website make use of two CAPTCHA routines. We will probably never know what causes these things to occur unless we see the output of the OP's Forum Post Assistant report.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

keora
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby keora » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:19 am

Hi Guys!

Sorry for not replying earlier. I tried to catch up with you. Captcha is there on the joomla registration form, but not on the Virtuemart registration form. Is it possible for the recaptcha to put it there?

Kind regards,
Stefan

PS: If I can help in anyway to solve the problem, just tell me.

sozzled
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby sozzled » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:01 pm

keora wrote:I get spam registrations on my joomla website despite having a CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA form.

sozzled wrote:I was puzzled that some other pages on the OP's website make use of two CAPTCHA routines. We will probably never know what causes these things to occur unless we see the output of the OP's Forum Post Assistant report.

keora wrote:The CAPTCHA doesn't work [apparently]. Does anyone know why?

keora wrote:CAPTCHA is there on the Joomla registration form, but not on the Virtuemart registration form. Is it possible for the reCAPTCHA to put it there?
I think you've now explained how people can easily create spam accounts on your website. Even though CAPTCHA does not guarantee the avoidance of spam account registrations, the fact that you have two registration forms—one that has two CAPTCHA challenges and the other that has no CAPTCHA—explains "why".

However, this does not explain why @keora feels it is necessary to have two different registration forms!

keora wrote:If I can help in anyway to solve the problem, just tell me.
You have been asked twice to post the results of the Forum Post Assistant; twice you have ignored this request.

If you want to "solve" the problem, unpublished the Registration form that does not have a CAPTCHA challenge.

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby itoctopus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:34 pm

If you have access to the logs, then I suggest you check them and analyze them to see how the spammers are registering on the website. They might be registering through the form without the captcha or they might be registering through somewhere else.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

keora
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby keora » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 pm

However, this does not explain why @keora feels it is necessary to have two different registration forms!

keora wrote:If I can help in anyway to solve the problem, just tell me.
You have been asked twice to post the results of the Forum Post Assistant; twice you have ignored this request.

If you want to "solve" the problem, unpublished the Registration form that does not have a CAPTCHA challenge.[/quote]

Sorry. So I can't unpublish the 2nd form, because I it's the Virtuemart registration and that is the main one I need. I tried to apply a Captcha there, but failed apparently.

And I don't know what the Forum Post Assistant is... !? :(

keora
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby keora » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 pm

itoctopus wrote:If you have access to the logs, then I suggest you check them and analyze them to see how the spammers are registering on the website. They might be registering through the form without the captcha or they might be registering through somewhere else.

How do I see this? I am no expert with Joomla, only adopting Templates.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Per Yngve Berg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:05 pm

A custom registration form is not the correct way to do it. The extra info can be fed to VM with a User Profile Plugin. Tell that to the VM developers.

sozzled
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby sozzled » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:09 pm

keora wrote: I don't know what the Forum Post Assistant is... !?
This is the third time I have provided you with the link to the Forum Post Assistant. If you click this link you will learn what the Forum Post Assistant tool is and how to use it. I suggest you try to use it.

keora wrote:Sorry. So I can't unpublish the 2nd form, because I it's the Virtuemart registration and that is the main one I need.
What makes you believe that you require the VirtueMart registration form? @Per states that you don't need it or, if you do need it, it's not working in the way you expect it to work (and it's probably one of the reasons why you're getting spam registrations).

keora wrote:I tried to apply a Captcha there, but failed apparently.
If you mean that you're unable to use CAPTCHA with the VirtueMart registration form, that's a question you should ask the developers of that product. If you mean that you can use CAPTCHA with the VirtueMart registration form and it fails to prevent spam registrations, that's a different question. Please clarify what you mean by it failed; what is "it" that "fails" [apparently]?

What seems to be "apparent" here—based on the information you've given us—is that your site has two registration forms and one or both are ineffective in preventing spam registrations. That's the most likely explanation (in the absence of seeing the output from the Forum Post Assistant report).

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”