Menu Manager Sort Unavailable in Joomla 3.7.4

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Menu Manager Sort Unavailable in Joomla 3.7.4

Postby LovesMtns » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:33 pm

I used to be able to sort the menus in the Menu Manager. But the three vertical sort dots have disappeared. I've tried both "site" templates, makes no difference. Have this problem on all my sites (a half dozen). The sorting "within" a menu works perfectly. But I need to sort the menus themselves, in the Menu Manager :).

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Menu Manager Sort Unavailable in Joomla 3.7.4

Postby brian » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I think you are mistaken. I cant find any evidence in the history of that file that you could do drag and drop sorting of the menus. I cant see why it would ever exist anyway as there is no value to sorting the menus in that way.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby LovesMtns » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Then how are they sorted? Does one sort them in the Module Manager?

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby AMurray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 pm

I thought the OP was asking about the sorting of menu items as per this method:
sort-menus.PNG

https://docs.joomla.org/Changing_the_or ... _in_a_menu

But perhaps I misunderstood the OP's question and he wants to order the menus themselves per the "Menu" listing
menu-list.PNG

In that case Brian is correct. I can't recall any previous Joomla version that sorted the Menus (as opposed to menu items) by the drag-drop or any other method.

If the OP could provide an example of the Joomla version where he was able to do this, perhaps the development team could then confirm that was once a feature, if not any longer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby AMurray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 pm

The only sorting in the Menu list I can see is if you click the "title" column, it sorts by menu name but there is no drag-drop method available.

In any case sorting the menus in the administrator won't make a difference to them on the front-end, that is done in the menu-item list.
Regards,
A Murray

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby AMurray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 pm

@LoveMtns

If you sort your "parent" menu items, it takes the associated child items with it.

Example menu structure:

Home
Members
---Blog
---Forum
Other Pages
--- About
---Contact

Members has two child items, Blog and Forum. If you move "Members" above "Home" then your menu order becomes Members, Home, Other Pages. It retains the child items under "Members" since that was set up in the menu item options and doesn't lose that parent item-child item relationship.
Regards,
A Murray

LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby LovesMtns » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 am

I think I have found the answer to my problem. The situation is, I have 5 actual Menus, with menu items under each. To sort the actual MENUS themselves, it is necessary to go to the Module Manager. There, you can sort the Menu Modules. That results in the menus on the front end appearing in the order I want. In my case, they were all in the LEFT module position. That makes sense in a way, because each separate menu is actually a separate module. I guess that is how I did it in the past, and just forgot.

At least I can now sort my Menus the way I want :). Not alphabetical or numerical, but in the logical order I want.

Thanks a million,
Roger Matthews

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”