Weblinks Global rel Follow settings

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Weblinks Global rel Follow settings

Postby DaveOzric » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:54 pm

I am stumped on this one. Under the weblinks Options I see no global setting for follow or nofollow.

Inspecting my weblinks on the frontend they are showing nofollow. Each link is set to global and so is the module settings they are being displayed in. I see no plugin either.

Anyone know where to set this mystical global setting to follow?

Much appreciated
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Administration Joomla! 3.x to the forum Extensions for Joomla! 3.x

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Weblinks Global rel Follow settings

Postby Webdongle » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Menu item type Weblinks ... Metsdata tab

Global configuration ... Site tab for global follow/no follow settings

Components >>> Weblinks ... the weblink entry ... Metadata tab. I think that setting (unlike other settings) might override the menu item settings. I know Article meta content and meta keywords settings override the menu settings but not sure about meta robots

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi Webdongle, I have set every robots directive in every place possible and it will not change. I am pretty certain at this point it's a bug with a weblinks menu item.

The one I am trying to change is a weblinks menu item.
Global site meta = index follow
Menu item = index follow
Weblinks category = index follow
Weblink itself > Publishing tab > Robots > index follow
Weblink itself > Metadata tab > Robots > index follow

There are no other places to set this.

Now in a module there is a setting for follow/nofollow not a robots directive but a rel link directive on a more granular level.

This is why I am thinking there is some bug or an update removed this setting and now global is junk and I may of set this wrong before.

Off to the database to fix it I guess. Lame

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Database says index follow but I cannot find the rel nofollow anywhere. Very strange.

I went to a different site using modules to layout links. The links were no follow and the module was set to follow. I changed it to nofollow and saved it then changed it back and that fixed it.

I think this demonstrates something is awry.

Kind of a bummer cause I really wanted the links on that site to be follow. I even changed to Protostar to see if it might be my template and no luck.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:08 pm

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:36 pm

I'll update this once I can install a fresh site and test. The real issue is a rel=nofollow or rel=follow is in the link html and the menu item cannot be set anywhere. It should be set on a link by link or by menu item.

The weblink module has this setting for all links in the module instance. A Menu Item of weblinks does not have any way to set these. Everything is set to global but there is no global setting in the weblinks Options. This would/should not be in a metadata option on the page setting.

Setting the page metatag is not the issue.

E.g.
a href="/links?task=weblink.go&amp;id=7" target="_blank" class="category eco-link" rel="nofollow">World Assistance for Cambodia

Thanks

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:14 pm

Just to be clear there is no setting outside of the module to set a follow/nofollow option.

I am 99.9% sure it used to be in each link and in the global options and menu items settings. This is not the same as index follow settings as a html link would not have a index. It's a link attribute and it's gone.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Must have been because my site has rel="nofollow"
weblinks 01.JPG
Strange thing is the edit screen for the individual link has a 'Robots' field in two tabs ... 'Publishing' and 'Meta'. As the (site that the link opens) can not be edited by Joomla then it is possible that one of those edited a field in the database. And at some time somebody noticed there were two fields in the edit screen and edited the wrong one ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:48 pm

I will swear there was a single option in the link for follow or nofollow which is much different than the index meta settings for articles and pages.

Now the only setting for this is in a module for weblinks.

2016-12-27_144557.jpg

No setting like this in a single weblink or menu item.

2016-12-27_144723.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:50 pm

In other words that Robots setting is not what sets a follow or nofollow rel attribute.

I guess I can use the module instead but why say global when there ain't no global setting anymore. It's gone daddy gone.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:50 pm

/components/com_weblinks/views/category/tmpl/default_items.php starting at line 102 is the code for making up the links. And there is the rel="nofollow"> hard coded. Can't any reference in the #__weblinks table to rel="nofollow">

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Well I can set it in a module to follow. I notice modules have the most options for weblinks, even more than the menu items.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:14 pm

Yes ... there is definately a mismatch between the options in the module and the component. But at least there are Template overrides so you can edit the hard coded rel="nofollow">

https://issues.joomla.org/tracker/weblinks is the tracker for Weblinks. Perhaps create a tracker on there ?

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby DaveOzric » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Still no option yet in 3.7.5.

I have not tried the override method.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”