Time-out issues

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
RACmitch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Time-out issues

Postby RACmitch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 pm

just looking for a little advice. We have a "member only" website. So you must log in to access the information on the site. In Global configuration I have the "session lifetime" set 240 mins or 2 hours. Our users are timing out well before the 2 hour (240 mins) mark when the site sits idle. I still have the Session Cache set to the default 15 mins. Do i need to match the Session Cache to the Session Lifetime to actually get 240 min before time out, if that's not the issue, how to I increase the timeout to actually be 240 mins?

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Time-out issues

Postby sozzled » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Session Lifetime relates to the Global Configuration » Server » Session Settings group.

I've not heard of a "Session Cache" setting. There is a Cache Time setting for the Global Configuration » Server » Cache Settings group but that's unrelated to sessions (i.e. the mechanism that handles communications between the client and the server).

When you say that your users are "timing out" before the expiration of 240 minutes (a) what are the symptoms and (b) how long are the users remaining logged-in before they're "timed-out"?

What are the other settings you're using with the Global Configuration » Server » Session Settings group? What version of Joomla are you using? What are your members using (i.e. what extension, if any) while they're online and logged-in?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

RACmitch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby RACmitch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Ok, just asking about the cache settings, didn't think they were related, but wanted to check that off the list.

The symptoms are that when they are logged in they can see different menu items that are specific to their permission level. If a user refreshes the page after what looks like 40 mins the permission specific menus disappear and they see the non logged in menu, and all their work is lost (guess i should mention these are front-end users, not admin-side)

I only have changed the "session settings" (240) in that group. session handler is database and session sharing is set to no. I am using Joomla 3.8.5

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 pm

You haven't provided us with details of the other settings you're using with the Global Configuration » Server » Session Settings group? You also haven't provided us with information about what your members may be using (i.e. what extension, if any) when the "permission-specific menu [items]"—that may be related to the extension they're using—disappear when they refresh the screen.

Put another way, are your members using a forum extension (e.g. Kunena) that may have its own "session control" settings?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”