How to determine what causes Joomla error message?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
cbrace
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to determine what causes Joomla error message?

Postby cbrace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am

Hi all,

When registered users log into my Joomla site, they see the following generic Joomla error message displayed on the home page:

Screenshot from 2018-07-11 11-39-31.png

I have no idea what is causing this. I assume that a module somewhere has incorrect permissions. I have reviewed all the active modules but nothing jumps out at me.

Can anyone suggest a way for determining what exactly is generating this error message?

Site is running v3.8.10

Many thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: How to determine what causes Joomla error message?

Postby KianWilliam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Be sure the page that show this message has public access and check the access level of those users
Kian William

cbrace
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby cbrace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

After logging in on the home page, the home page is properly displayed, no further issues, except one thing: the pink generic error message is displayed.

I cannot figure out why and I was just wondering whether any one knew a technique for determining why this is being displayed. I set error reporting to Maximum but I don't get any additional information.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby AMurray » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Can you methodically troubleshoot by removing each modules on the page, until the error is no longer shown. Then put the modules back,one by one, until that error re-appears, so then you know that is the culprit.

Without seeing your site, we can't know what modules you're using.

Can you please use the FPA and post the report results to a reply on this thread. viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531. Also some screenshots of a logged-in view of the site (since we can't do so ourselves). Also a screenshot of the public (not-logged in view) would help, so we can see what differences there are.

Do any other pages (that might have the same module assigned) do show the same error, or just the opening page after login? Can you try one other thing; change the 'redirect after login' page. Make some other pages on your site the "home" page, and see if the same error is coming up.

Just a few ideas, I don't know what will work or not.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:09 pm

You have a module set to 'Guest' or a view/access level that 'Registered' are not in ?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Postby sozzled » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

cbrace wrote:When registered users log into my Joomla site [and they visit the home page], they see [a "you are not authorised to view this resource" message].
Well, as @Webdongle and @KianWilliam have already said, you have content on your site—on your home page or elsewhere—that registered users are not permitted to view. It's kind of self-explanatory. You have content (e.g. a module) on those pages that is not "viewable" as far as registered users are concerned.

My guess is that you assigned viewing access to that "resource" so that it's accessible only to guest users. Guests are people who are not logged-in; after you have logged in, you are no longer "a guest" ... you are a registered user. Compare and contrast this against what you wrote (that I quoted) earlier. If you want something viewable to both guests and registered users then assign public access to those things.

(Common misconception about what is a registered user. A registered user is not someone who has an account at a website. A registered user is someone who has logged-in. Saying that "when a registered user logs-in" is the same as saying that "when someone who can login has logged-in" ... well, I guess if you have an account and the account is not disabled, then you can login, right?)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”