virtuemart Auto login to affiliate site

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
krmysl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

virtuemart Auto login to affiliate site

Post by krmysl » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 pm

A client organization running Joomla 3.9 and CiviCRM (jgsny.org) has an affiliation with another company (jewishdata.com). Jewishdata charges a fee to access their database. As a benefit of membership, JGSNY offers free access to Jewishdata. Right now, the member has to go to jewishdata.com and login using a username and password set up by JGSNY to gain access. The username and password has to be changed regularly, therefore all the members need to be informed of the change.

Obviously, this is a pain and I'm trying to find a way to automate the login. If a member is logged into jgsny.org and is in the member group, JGS wants a link from their site to jewishdata.com that passes a cookie or token to jewishdata.com with the login information so the login is automatic. Jewishdata is willing to work with JGSNY to implement a technical solution, but I'm not sure how to do it. Static IP address, redirect, some extension?

Any ideas you have would be helpful.
Last edited by mandville on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retitled to be more descriptive,moved to more suitable forum

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Auto login to affiliate site

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:29 pm

I understand that the target site—the genealogical society—is a J! website and that the affiliated site is not a J! website.

Have you contacted the affiliated website to obtain details of their login API (for user authenticating purposes) in order to see whether "passing a cookie or token" to that website will work?

The problem, as you've described it, is similar in some ways to [what we refer to as] building a bridge. Examples of bridges are
  • connecting J! to PHP forums
  • connecting J! to [wikiMedia-based] wikis
Understanding how the bridge works may lead to a solution (assuming there is clear information about the "affiliated" website's API. I think you need to contact the developers/owners of the affiliated website to obtain the information and then you may be able to build the bridge.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

krmysl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Auto login to affiliate site

Post by krmysl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks for the quick response. We are in contact with the outside site, but their web person isn't very forthcoming (or maybe knowledgeable) about their API login process. We tried this several years ago with no luck. I was hoping to find a recent solution without building custom code, but didn't expect much out there.
Kate

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”