Receiving "The connection was reset" error messages on Localhost sites Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
agossett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Receiving "The connection was reset" error messages on Localhost sites

Post by agossett » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm

Hello. I have begun receiving "The connection was reset" error messages when attempting to access my localhost development sites. Previously, these sites have operated properly. However, after attempting to open them within the MAMP (v. 5.6 and 5.4) environments after a several month hiatus, I am getting these recurring messages. This is true on both the Visitor & Administrator sides of the sites. I was able to update one of the sites after multiple attempts to Joomla v. 3.9.14, with no effect on the error messages. Pages on the visitor side will sometimes load after several attempts, but the administrator side will only load the 'Control Panel' or 'System Information' pages after multiple attempts.

Can anyone offer any direction on what is going wrong and suggestions on how I can fix this? Thanks!

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Receiving "The connection was reset" error messages on Localhost sites

Post by toivo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 am

Are there any other error messages?

Are your localhost sites installed on a separate workstation in the same LAN or are you using the browser from the same workstation?

The connection reset message is triggered by an issue between your browser and the web server. It may have nothing to do with the actual Joomla installation, but, in any case, please post the results of the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) from one of those sites.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:50 pm

agossett wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm
I have begun receiving "The connection was reset" error messages when attempting to access my localhost development sites. Previously, these sites have operated properly.
Tell me, is this the message that you see?:

"Safari can’t open the page “‎localhost/joomla_3/” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes and then try again."

Same message on Firefox.

If so then you are not alone and I've posted a message (without reply so far) on the MAMP user forums. I"ll let you know if I receive a reply.

For info:
MacOS Catalina 10.15.2, MAMP Pro v5.6
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.15 and PHP7.3.x

agossett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agossett » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Thanks for your responses.

Toivo:
To answer your questions:
In Firefox: that is the only error message that I am receiving.
In Chrome: I receive the error message:
"This page isn’t working localhost didn’t send any data. ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

Also, the localhost environment is on the same machine that I am attempting to open the site with. There is no LAN or any other devices involved. Also, because the error seems to be affecting multiple Joomla development sites, I don't think that it is being caused by a particular Joomla installation, but rather by something that is occurring in the MAMP server environment.

JAVesey:
Thanks for reaching out to me. Thanks as well for sharing any response you receive a response to this issue on the MAMP User Forum.

agossett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agossett » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:52 pm

Toivo,

Have you been able to make any progress on this error issue? This persistent error message is basically locking me out of any meaningful access to my localhost development sites. Because it is reporting across several Joomla sites, I don't think that it is an error in a particular Joomla installation, but since other users have reported it, I'm wondering how they resolved it, or if you have any suggestions on how it might be resolved. Thanks!

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:46 am

Does your Mac run an anti-virus or some other security application, like a firewall, which may block requests and responses?

Are there any scheduled jobs or ongoing downloads from Torrent sites that could cause the bandwidth to run out?

If you are familiar with the command prompt, a bit of Linux and the structure of the file system, it might be possible to find an explanation from the log files.

agossett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agossett » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 am

Toivo,

No, it's not running any firewall or other security apps. It is also not running any torrent or other ongoing downloads that is using bandwidth. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with how to find or access the log files.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:33 am

Log files can also be viewed in the Console app, which is easier: https://support.apple.com/en-hk/guide/c ... sl1012/mac

agossett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by agossett » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:51 am

Issue Resolved!

The issue was with a bug in the most recent version of MAMP (v. 5.6). Another user had my same issue once they upgraded to this version. Reverting to the prior version -- or in my case v. 5.4 -- resolved this issue for both of us.

tonytranupc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tonytranupc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 am

I got an answer from Quora:

https://www.quora.com/Trouble-Shooting- ... reset-mean

I don't know whether it can help you to get rid of it. But normally, it is caused by antivirus software as far as I know. You can try to disable your antivirus software temporarily to verify.

Tony Tran
A tech enthusiast and editor
My latest computers and smartphone step-by-step guides
https://bytebitebit.com/author/tonytran/

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”