Search in the 404 error page: 404 Component not found Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Search in the 404 error page: 404 Component not found

Post by tychapogoy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 am

Dear devs,

on article not found (error 404), the user is offered to use a search the site. But searching yields a 404 "Component not found" error. All my search components are public. (There are two modules: mobile and desktop version). What should I do to allow for a proper search through the 404 error page, please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Search in the 404 error page: 404 Component not found

Post by tychapogoy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:51 am

J 3.9.15

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:05 am

What is the URL of the website?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tychapogoy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:36 am

My Czech is almost non-existent but managed to get to the 404 page, tried to search and can now confirm the error '404 Komponenta nebyla nalezena', '404 Component not found'.

Go to Extensions - Manage - Manage and type in 'search' into the Search field. Click 'Search Tools' and select the type 'Component'. Are the search components Search and Smart Search enabled?

Please post the results of the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the link in the red banner at the top of this topic.

tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tychapogoy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:56 am

I'm sorry, I forgot to change that. I hope no broken link had been found by you, but you typed in https://svjsvetova523-1.cz/blahblah :)

Well, the Search component had been disabled both for site and administrator. After enabling the Search two components the 404 error for the component do not appear. Instead results of the search are presented
on the /component/search/ URI

I was using Smart Search components for long time on the site. Results appeared on the /component/finder/ URI. Now I remember that I switched off the Search component intentionally in the past -- it was some strange interference between Smart Search and Search in pre-3.8 J versions. I'll see whether is appears again now when both Search and Smart Search are enabled.

Thank you for pointing me the right direction, I totally missed the component list and was checking the modules (silly me). I'm not posting any FPA now.

It would be nice to be able to change the search component in the 404 error - page not found. Currently (I repeat and confirm) the Search component supplies the search results. I'd like to optionally replace that by the Smart Search (Finder) results. Is this possible on the administrator level, please? That is a template thingy, right?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 am

tychapogoy wrote:I'd like to optionally replace that by the Smart Search (Finder) results. Is this possible on the administrator level, please?
Perfectly possible. Use Extensions - Modules to disconnect the Search module from the Search position of the template and assign the Smart Search module to that position. Do not forget to re-index and test.

It is possible to present the search results on their own page, for example /search-results, especially if the site uses SEF URLs and modern routing: https://www.joomlage.com/joomla-3-tutor ... -in-joomla.

The following tutorial will help if you want to customise the page for search results: https://docs.joomla.org/Customising_the ... sults_page

tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tychapogoy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Dear Toivo,

I'm working on understanding your instructions, but I'm failing to do so. I summarize my findings:
  • There is no Search module among my modules, only Smart search module. See also
    https://imgur.com/azMOF8d
  • I cannot identify the search position of the Protostar template.
  • Only Smart search would allow me to re-index. Search does not have that option, ASAIK.
toivo wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 am
tychapogoy wrote:I'd like to optionally replace that by the Smart Search (Finder) results. Is this possible on the administrator level, please?
Perfectly possible. Use Extensions - Modules to disconnect the Search module from the Search position of the template and assign the Smart Search module to that position. Do not forget to re-index and test.
Thank you for the help page on the separate search page.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 am

tychapogoy wrote:I cannot identify the search position of the Protostar template.
Go to Extensions - Templates: Styles - Options and set 'Preview Module Positions' to Enabled. Now you can browse to the home page and add '?tp=1' to the URL, for example http://example.com/index.php?tp=1. Usually the search position in Protostar is position-0.

Did you manage to get rid of the original issue?

tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tychapogoy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Yes, please, the original issue has been solved. Thank you.

The other issue, I'll escalate in new thread soon.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”