Refreshing an 12 year old Joomla Site Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Refreshing an 12 year old Joomla Site

Post by mjeb » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:22 am

Howdy folks.

Our band website has been a Blog of what we've been doing for 12 years.

T3, bare bones, simple stuff. Over the years it's had a few database issues, it's old, slow, cantankerous but rates OK on page speed.

Joomla! 3.9.8 Stable [ Amani ] 11-June-2019 20:00 GMT

We post ongoing content and link to other places where our media is held.

From time to time I like to give it a spruce up, love to hear any suggestions from anyone on preserving and improving.

If anyone responds happy to share site, just being a little shy cos well you know :-)

Rgds

M.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Refreshing an 12 year old Joomla Site

Post by leolam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:36 am

Show me the 'music' ;-)

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:18 am

leolam wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:36 am
Show me the 'music' ;-)

Leo 8)
www.stormcellar.com.au

:-)

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ch3vr0n » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:23 pm

I'd start with this:
  • https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.stormc ... u/OdGmMY4O
    (Defer parsing of JavaScript, Leverage browser caching, Optimize images, Optimize the order of styles and scripts, Minimize redirects)
  • Then there's the following problems. you have a hamburger menu icon, which upon clicking opens a sidemenu but there's nothing in it. The hamburger icon itself sits on top the main menu which doubles the needed menu height and adds nothing but blank space.
  • The default "search" value in the search field is very hard to read. Grey text & white border against a grey background?
  • I'd swap the order of the side "main menu" to be on top of the social media images. Right now, unless you scroll down past the abundance of side images nobody would know the side menu is even there.
  • the horizontal menu has grey text and hover text changes color to white and the active menu item is black filled, while the side "main menu" has a blue highlighted menu item with white text and grey menu item hover effect. Makes the menu looks and behavior very inconsistent.

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi there!,

You also can check this info about SEO and Security:
https://docs.joomla.org/Portal:Search_E ... timisation
https://docs.joomla.org/Security_Checklist

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Thanks Ch3vron, thanks Alex.

I'll have a look and see what I can improve.

It's a good time to be working inside ;-)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:47 am

@mjeb, I'd also update to the latest Joomla - 3.9.16 (as stated you're on 3.9.8 (?) so 9 versions (~10 months) behind.)
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 am

Many thanks all.

Some of this I understand some I am reading up on :-)

I'll tweak away and see what I can do :-)

MJEB

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 am

Reporting in.

Found the spare hamburger menu. Holdover from that time we had a video bar down the side filled with [youtube] embeds. Gracias. Cleaned.

Was great in principal, crappy in load time.

Oh well. One day the web will truly allow multiple media hosting and integration to a single portal for curation. or maybe it's just Australian internet speeds. I dunno.

Anyway.

Everything inside the template tells me it's optimised to the all Bejeebers.

As we add content a lot, I am not sure how better to optimise.

Right now I am 99% uploading 500X500Pix pic.

I wondered if the total size of the DB added to response lag

Not sure if that matters, as I am only displaying the first few articles at any given time, does it really matter how big the underlying database is?

Things I am working on

if I really could integrate my [youtube] stored clips that'd be great, but nah. I dont want to store them locally, I want seamless connection between multiple providers because I am a hope romantic and dreamer :-)

I don't like the way I am bouncing people out of my site to storage tanks, but, best of a bad lot really.

Only main things I really want to fix - 'next article' function at the bottom of articles when they're direct links, or an option to go to the homepage, like a newspaper.

Also considering, is there an even simpler, smoother template.

Thinking aloud, thanks for all the input.

M.

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ch3vr0n » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Storing media files (whether they're static or video, or audio) locally is actually the better way. Having to load an external resource requires yet another "call" to an external source and increased page loading time.

Your GTmetrix score has improved, from a D to C. But it's still far from optimal https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.stormc ... u/XRpUdgU0

-Defer parsing of javascript (aka put it at the BOTTOM of the page)
-leverage browser caching (aka tell it to keep a cache of static images etc by specifying a duration time) and
-optimize your images. Optimizing images isn't just of not resizing large ones by CSS it's also done via lossless compression.

That's something Jspeed https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/jspeed/ or https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/jch-optimize/ can help you with.

with the proper optimization like that you can achieve scores like this :) https://gtmetrix.com/reports/soliweb.be/AsE3yJma (my personal site)

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 am

Hey Ch3vron cheers mate.

I have JCH optimise running.

Or maybe I don't have it running correctly :-)

WOOHOO!! I'm a 'c' :P

I am not sure how to defer Javascript parsing. I'll keep reading and see what I can do.

Appreciate the follow up. Slowly but surely I will increase my understanding and clean it up.

You never know, maybe I'll get to a 'B' :P

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ch3vr0n » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Deferring javascript is a setting in JCH ;)

Your images still need optimizing (which JCH can do, but afaik requires the paid version)
Browser caching is something it can do too, basically it adds a few lines to the .htaccess files that tell the browser how long to keep certain types of files in the cache, for that specific website.

Like this:

# Image files expiration: 1 month after request
ExpiresByType image/bmp "now plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/gif "now plus 1 month"

If you don't have the paid version (or don't want too), click on that menu entry "optimize images". It'll give you the option to straight up download optimized versions for free from GTMetrix site itself. Just upload and replace them via FTP ;) in the matching directories. That alone should knock you up to a B.

The deferring should then knock you up to an A :)

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:29 pm

Cheers Ch3vron. I'm gonna redo JCH I could have sworn I had the paid version.

I greatly appreciate the clarifications and guidance. If I get to a 'B' I'll think well of myself :P

hmm, in back end can't see it. so weird. Maybe I had it and then ditched it? Who knows. I deffo bought this thing. Time for a search of the ol' hdd :-)

Ok. JCH here I come.

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 pm

BTW I did have JCH on there, v5.0.

Bought the new one, updating will see what happens

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 pm

jch is running, up to a C (woohoo) but it it looks to me like the slow javascript is coming from embedded videos which are regular parts of blog content

my preference is still to use [youtube] as my video storage rather that data files on the local server, wondering if there is a better way to embed them that doesnt load up all the accompanying [youtube] javascript

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ch3vr0n » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:29 pm

You were a C last in my previous post. You still need to run the JCH image optimizer on the files in your /images and on /templates/t3_bs3_blank/images/logo.png

JCH > last tab "Optimize Images"

The problem with the javascripts isn't that their loaded, its WHEN they're loaded. They're being loaded at initial page load which increases the load duration. Deferring JS is on the "Combin CSS/JS" tab. There's 6 big buttons, each one has a bigger "impact" than the other one

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:23 am

Thanks Ch3vron. I greatly appreciate your continued responses :-)

I have set JCH optimise to Optimum. C is the grade :-)

The 'optimise images' went wrong somehow and I havent figured out how to sort it yet.

Doesn't look beyond my comprehension, looks like I need patience and a few attempts until it clicks.

I'll keep trying and let you know.

M.

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 am

Checked cache in case, cleared it.

Even with setting on JCH optimise set to max, cant seem to get the defer javascript.

Will keep messing with it.

mjeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjeb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:04 am

Up to a B.

Sorted JCH licensing to make sure it was functioning, can't seem to shake that javascript reading.

Making progress though!

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ch3vr0n » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:42 pm

Hey, you jumped 2 full grades and are now upto 82%. That's pretty decent! If i were you i'd just remove that side menu module (with the different styling). As it looks to be a duplicate of the top menu. As to the javascript. Have you enabled optimizing of it (clicking on one of those 6 big buttons?) I'm ussing the "ultimate" one :)

If you'll compare this report https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.stormc ... u/OdGmMY4O with this one https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.stormc ... u/aeoPCYHx You'll notice you also cut 600kb in page total page size and went from 67 requests to fully load the page to 37! that's a near 50% reduction

Now it's not so much as a warning, just a recommendation that's all. If you really can't get it to work. B-grade of 82% is pretty damn good and a lot better than what it used to be ;)

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”