session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /opt/alt/php74/var/lib/php/session)

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
no_vice
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /opt/alt/php74/var/lib/php/session)

Post by no_vice » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi! here is the sequence of events:

i) I got a message from my hosting provider (GoDaddy) that my Joomla database has exceeded the permissible size and so, they have disabled the website

ii) My developer worked on pruning the size of the Joomla Database

iii) Since, then, my website gives the following error:

session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /opt/alt/php74/var/lib/php/session) in in /home/websitename/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/handler/native.php on line 260
Error: Failed to start application: Failed to start the session

Can someone please urgently advice on this. Would someone have a reference to some professional services that I can reach in India, for speedy resolution to this?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /opt/alt/php74/var/lib/php/session)

Post by toivo » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:39 pm

That message usually means that the database connection details are incorrect or the database server is not online.

If you need paid assistance, please create a topic at the Professional Services Forum with your contact details so that interested parties can get in touch. Read the instructions in the sticky post at the top of that forum first.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /opt/alt/php74/var/lib/php/session)

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Edit configuration.php and change session handler from 'database' to 'none'.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:27 pm
Edit configuration.php and change session handler from 'database' to 'none'.
...and make sure that the session table in your database is empty after doing this ;)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.21 and PHP7.3.x

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”