Broken Menu Tree in menu assignment for modules.

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
DanHouston
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Broken Menu Tree in menu assignment for modules.

Post by DanHouston » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:24 pm

I have several menus, some of them with extensive menu items. It's no big deal because our site has a very steady growth. BUT I've always noticed that the checkboxes for menu assisgnment towards the bottom of the menu tree is broken. See attached.

At some point, Joomla starts seeing top-level menu items as actual menus. Then, the design breaks and cascades off the rails.

The top-level menu items that are displaying as actual menus belong within the menu NIA Toolbar. But for some reason, NIA Toolbar only contains 3 menu items.

Beneath that, all menu items cascading real ugly-like.

I suspect that this MIGHT have something to do with the megamenu running on one of my templates, but I don't see how it would affect the administration interface.

Any thoughts here? Your help is always appreciated!
broken_menu_tree.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meeseeks are not born into this world fumbling for meaning! We are created to serve a singular purpose - building Joomla! sites - which we will go to any lengths to fulfill!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Broken Menu Tree in menu assignment for modules.

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Yeah ... this has happened to me once or twice over time and I don't remember how I dealt with it or whether I have any websites that still experience that issue. It's possible that, over time, the menu items (i.e. the rows in the database table _menu) become "disconnected" from one another as a consequence of adding new features to building upon old structures that don't accurately reflect the purpose or functional navigation your users require from your website business.

I suspect (without remembering if, in my case, this was the cure) I redesigned my menus—moved things around, unpublished/trashed/deleted outdated items, etc.—or rebuilt them to better reflect functional/architectural changes in my website.

I can't explain the cause but the solution, albeit one that involves a commitment of your time, is worth the effort you invest into it. Perhaps there's a simple solution—I don't know—and maybe someone can suggest an easy-to-follow pathway, but I wish you good fortune. Cheers. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

DanHouston
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Broken Menu Tree in menu assignment for modules.

Post by DanHouston » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:57 pm

sozzled wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:38 pm
I suspect (without remembering if, in my case, this was the cure) I redesigned my menus—moved things around, unpublished/trashed/deleted outdated items, etc.—or rebuilt them to better reflect functional/architectural changes in my website.
This is how i've begun approaching it. Either way the stuff needs to be audited. Hopefully it'll snap back into place during the process. If anyone else has a definite solution, I'm happy to skip all that for a while.
Meeseeks are not born into this world fumbling for meaning! We are created to serve a singular purpose - building Joomla! sites - which we will go to any lengths to fulfill!

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”