Create scripts not working on menus

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.
PhilipVerstr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Create scripts not working on menus

Post by PhilipVerstr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:55 am

I have a particular problem with the creation of menus. Whenever I try to create an item, no matter which style I choose, the screen turns darker - becomes inactive - and nothing happens.

I can only go back to the previous screen with the previous key but the script doesn't really execute apparently. Anyone experienced this before ?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Create scripts not working on menus

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:58 am

Click the button to select Menu Item type. A pop-up with the available types appear. Click on the type name and the pop-up will close and the parent form is updated/filled in.

Otherwise right click and Inspect element. Search for JS errors.

PhilipVerstr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilipVerstr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Yes, and that is when the screen freezes with a black veil over it...

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:00 am

What is the URL of the website?

Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

PhilipVerstr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Menu items freeze on category selection

Post by PhilipVerstr » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:45 pm

Since quite some time I cannot create or change menu items anymore ...
All goes well till I select a category for the content to be of the menu item ... be it a changing of the menu item or a creation of a new one : whenever I select the category to register for the item, the screen darkens, no error message, nothing ... I cannot get past it, only hit the 'return previous screen' arrow in the browser.

This blocks me effectively of changing any menu item or adding a new one.
I now desperately need to do so ...
Any clues ?
Last edited by toivo on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: merged with the current topic, cross posting not allowed in forum rules, available from https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

PhilipVerstr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilipVerstr » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:45 pm

You can hardly call a topic from August 29th, 2020 a 'current' topic.
But OK, I understand I will get no answer on this one this time too on this forum.
Problem is there is, apparently, no official support team or site for Joomla. So I am stuck and I remain stuck.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:15 pm

You haven't blocked pop-ups in your browser?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:27 pm

PhilipVerstr wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:45 pm
You can hardly call a topic from August 29th, 2020 a 'current' topic.
But OK, I understand I will get no answer on this one this time too on this forum.
The earlier topic is relevant because of the original issue, which seemed to remain unresolved. The URL of the website and the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) were requested but never provided.

In addition to the description of the issue, the quality and number of responses depend on the amount and accuracy of information about the website. The best way is to post the results from the FPA.

PhilipVerstr wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:45 pm
Problem is there is, apparently, no official support team or site for Joomla.
You are now at the official Joomla! Forum, where a team of moderators and volunteer experts provide the support to the Joomla community. There is also the official Github site, Joomla! Issue Tracker, Joomla documentation, the Community Magazine, Volunteers portal and other official sites.

PhilipVerstr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilipVerstr » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:43 pm

I did some reading and see that this FPA is an extension to be installed on the server. Since I am hosting our site on a commercial hosting service this is not an option for me ...

I could give you the URL of the site, but I prefer not to post this here publicly since I do not see how you could analyze an error in the Joomla administration panel interface by looking at the contents of the site.

Github is not something I am familiar with, neither do I have an account there or could use one, I think. I thought Joomla was a CMS that can be used with basic IT knowledge but when I look into this FPA or Github I have to change my mind apparently... Pity, since I loved the platform and used it for the club for several years without any problem...

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:50 pm

PhilipVerstr wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:43 pm
I did some reading and see that this FPA is an extension to be installed on the server. Since I am hosting our site on a commercial hosting service this is not an option for me ...
The FPA is just a file that needs to be uploaded to the main Joomla folder in the server. It does not have to be installed.

As long as you have access to the cPanel provided by your host that has an option to run File Manager, FTP or SCP, the FPA script can be uploaded easily. After it has been idle for a certain amount of time, it deletes itself for security reasons. The FPA instructions and the download are available from https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs.

PhilipVerstr wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:43 pm
I thought Joomla was a CMS that can be used with basic IT knowledge but when I look into this FPA or Github I have to change my mind apparently...
The Github sites, the Joomla! Issue Tracker and the Joomla Discussions, are targeting the developer community, those who maintain the current version 3.x and provide the updates, but also do the coding and testing of the new version 4.0, currently in Beta testing.

If you are not a developer, you would still benefit not just from this support forum, but also from Joomla! Documentation and Joomla! Community Magazine.

It would be difficult for us volunteers to assist if the details of the configuration of the Joomla site and the web server are not available in the concise format provided by the FPA.

You may still want to posts a brief description of the issue and tell about your requirements or just refer to this forum topic and mention your preferred contact method at the Professional Development Services forum so that interested Joomla experts can send you a quotation for their services.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”