Home Page Feature

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
topcat_ism
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Home Page Feature

Post by topcat_ism » Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm

its a Joomla 3,8,26
Beez template

For some reason I am only getting my lead article and 1 intro to show on front page. Articles are active on catergory blog page. Articles are lit for front page. I don't know what happened. Site been up a good while. I did change some articles to a new category. Now I want them back on front page in new category. None of the other categories will show on front page. Any help or clue would be dearly appreciated. site is http://www.topcatlive.com

topcat_ism
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Home Page Feature

Post by topcat_ism » Thu May 13, 2021 8:37 pm

So I contacted GoDaddy and the backup program will get me back to where I was yesterday. Great. But if you can direct me to a spot where I can go over the feature, non feature and or change feature thing it will be immensely helpful. I assumed that when I deleted items that had been frontpage, it would only delete them from frontpage. Boy was I shocked when my largest category disappeared. I just want to study up and have a better idea of what is going to happen. Thank you

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri May 14, 2021 3:51 am

It depends on the menu item type used for the Default Menu Item (identified by a Golden Yellow Star); that is the menu item type of the frontpage. If the menu item type of the default menu item is of the type Featured Articles, then when the corresponding menu item is opened for Edit, in the tab Layout, for the option "Select Categories", choose the value "- All Categories -" or choose the appropriate categories.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

topcat_ism
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by topcat_ism » Thu May 27, 2021 11:00 am

I am seeking information that might help resolve this issue. I have three column intro image on front page (and 2 or 3 cols on category pages). They show very well on computer. I believe they show very well on Android. They show as one column on phone when phone is in vertical position. They show as multi column when phone is in landscape position. Except... On iphone 10 the columns merge initially. When refresh is initiated, they show correctly. It is nagging issue. I searched and experimented but cannot solve. Any suggestions (and or solutions) will be very much appreciated and swiftly examined. Thank you in advance.
www.topcatlive.com

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu May 27, 2021 11:11 am

That could be the Template
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

topcat_ism
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by topcat_ism » Thu May 27, 2021 11:52 am

I am researching apple. It suggests a gutter size value to prevent the columns from merging. Does this sound reasonable? Will it impact how android phones work? Will it cause website to show differently on computer screens?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu May 27, 2021 12:02 pm

Only one way to find out.
And while you're testing, don't forget to test with different browsers on all the devices.

Welcome to the real world trying to find 'a one size fits all'.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

topcat_ism
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by topcat_ism » Fri May 28, 2021 2:34 pm

Wow. What a ride. After checking and fixing every single article on my site, I discovered that if I open my website in vertical, it falters when tilted to horizontal (and vice versa). Hmm. I am finding no auto refresh for Safari on Iphone. Now I finally realize why facebook won't flip. Hmm... Any suggestions? How do I tell users to refresh if and when they tilt the phone? Is there a such thing as minimum width?

topcat_ism
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by topcat_ism » Sun May 30, 2021 10:49 pm

Wow. Just as I begin to love the results, the titles on front page vanish. The titles are there on the category pages but they completely vanished on front page. Has any one ever heard of such a thing? Any one have any suggestions? I don't have a clue. They were there yesterday.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”