Can't log in to admin - Failed to start the session because headers have already been sent Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jafr428
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can't log in to admin - Failed to start the session because headers have already been sent

Post by jafr428 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 pm

We're trying to log in to our admin accounts and cannot, getting error:

Failed to start the session because headers have already been sent by "/home/customer/www/XXXXXXXX.com/public_html/libraries/src/Application/AdministratorApplication.php" at line 126.

Visible at the top is a line saying:
Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/XXXXXXXX.com/public_html/libraries/src/Application/AdministratorApplication.php on line 126

Website was working fine yesterday. Any insights?

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Can't log in to admin - Failed to start the session because headers have already been sent

Post by abernyte » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Is your site and all the extensions fully up to date? This error is called by a deprecated function that is removed in php 7.4
Has your host upgraded your php version?
Please post the output from: https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly…Thomas Paine

jafr428
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Can't log in to admin - Failed to start the session because headers have already been sent

Post by jafr428 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:14 pm

Working on trying to get the FPA to load to the site. I think I got it uploaded with FileZila but I can't access it still.

May be a moot point, in the interim my IT guy found the file with the function and removed the instance, and that's allowed us to log in now.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:46 am

abernyte wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:37 pm
This error is called by a deprecated function that is removed in php 7.4
The function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated as of PHP 7.4 and removed in PHP 8.0.

Ref. https://www.php.net/manual/en/function. ... es-gpc.php
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:23 am

Thank you Toivo, My bad. I have seen magic_quotes_runtime deprecated since php5.3 and as it has been practically unused for so long that I thought that they had removed it at last in 7.4.
I stand corrected.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly…Thomas Paine

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”