smtp email not working

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Passie_1_5
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

smtp email not working

Post by Passie_1_5 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi,
I want to set global mail setting to SMPT.
Filled host, smpt port and SSL
Also SMTP user and password.

When try to hit send test mail gives error 'Test mail could not be sent'
My hosting had this server error:
SMTP call from server03.hosting.com dropped: too many syntax or protocol errors (last command was "?", NULL)

I'm running latest Joomla 3.9.27 with PHP 7.3.27
Anyone knows how to solve this?

Regards,
Pas

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: smtp email not working

Post by toivo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:57 pm

Is your website forwarding emails to the SMTP server of your host? In that case the support team of the host should have the correct settings you need to configure the mailer with in Global Configuration.

For example the SMTP server of Google can be used, if your web host allows the website to connect to an external SMTP server, rather than their own mail server:

How do I use Gmail as my mail server

If there are issues, it is possible to get a detailed log of all the messages exchanged between the Joomla site and the SMTP server. Inspect the transaction log and it shows what is going wrong between the two servers at the SMTP protocol level. Then get your IT department, host or the email provider to resolve any connectivity issues.

Go to Extensions - Plugins and configure the system plugin 'System - Debug' with the following settings:
  • Allowed Groups: Super Users
  • Log Priorities: All
  • Log Categories: mail
  • Log Almost Everything
Go to Global Configuration and turn on the debug option in the System tab - Debug Settings - Debug System.

Go to the Server tab - Mail Settings and click the button Send Test Mail.

The test result, success or failure, will then get displayed as a system message, but you can download the detailed log file 'everything.php' from the Joomla log folder, usually administrator/logs, or, if your site was installed much earlier, from the /logs folder in the main Joomla folder.

The SMTP status codes and error messages are often not self-explanatory. In that case post the relevant lines from the log here for assistance.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Passie_1_5
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: smtp email not working

Post by Passie_1_5 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Thanks Tolvo,
smtp in indeed on same server.
I'll try to get some logs from debug system.
Regards,
Pas

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”