Super Admin Password Rest Required

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Super Admin Password Rest Required

Post by DaveOzric » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:17 pm

A strange thing happened today on my Joomla site hosted on Siteground. I logged in to update extensions, etc. and I was redirected to my super admin profile and required to reset my password. I've never seen this in my 10 years of managing Joomla sites. I then saw the other user was set to do this next time too.

Any idea what this is about?

Thank you

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Super Admin Password Rest Required

Post by DaveOzric » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:29 pm

The only thing I can think is that the Siteground migration to Google Cloud is causing this. I'll see if any other sites are doing this.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:52 pm

The following topic in the 3.x Security forum explains what happened: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=984571
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:22 pm

I am on Siteground, not Sitepoint. I contacted them and they did not have anything to do with this. They ran a malware scan, came back clean.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:07 pm

@DaveOzric, have you been recently migrated from cPanel to SiteGround's new hosting tools? I don't know why that would prompt for change of password to Joomla super admins but that is the other major change going on at SiteGround presently.

I'm also with SiteGround, but haven't noticed this sort of behaviour with extension updates.

I did get that "enter your super user detail again to confirm you want to update" prompt but that was expected behaviour given I was doing testing on updating between Beta versions for Joomla 4 (B6 to B7). Probably unrelated to your issue posted here.
Regards - A Murray

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:21 pm

@AMurray, strange for sure. Just wanted to have this listed in case it happens to someone else.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Just happened again on my VPS. It was after the server updater did an update to 3.9.28.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”