Make changes to live WebSite?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Make changes to live WebSite?

Post by jdmoet3 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Hi, I hope this is an easy question.

How can I make updates to my Joomla 3.9.8 ecommerce site without them going live until I decide?

I think the advice is to use something like GitHub, but that means having a tutorial on using GitHub. So before I do, is that the best way to see simple changes to a website.

Also, if I do use something like GitHub, how can I see how changes like using different templates/frameworks? Would I upload those to GitHub too?

Sorry for my confusion.

Many Thanks.
Jay

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Make changes to live WebSite?

Post by abernyte » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:46 pm

The traditional way would be to have a local development copy of your live site, either on your PC or in a subfolder of your site to make changes to and then when you are satisfied you replicate these changes on the production or live site.
What you describe is a staging environment where you can push or sync the changes from staging to the live site. That is possible with a third party extension. The JED has one extension that does that https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... s/stageit/
I use the traditional route so cannot comment on how well the staging extension works.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:27 pm

The usual way as mentioned - work offline on your PC - run a web server like WAMPServer. That way you can closely replicate the live server environment in terms of PHP version etc., and WAMPServer in particular gives you flexibility on the choice of PHP so you can test with various versions.

Then when ready use the copy a website method to move your site to the live host.
Regards - A Murray

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:04 am

abernyte wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:46 pm
The traditional way would be to have a local development copy of your live site, either on your PC or in a subfolder of your site to make changes to and then when you are satisfied you replicate these changes on the production or live site.
What you describe is a staging environment where you can push or sync the changes from staging to the live site. That is possible with a third party extension. The JED has one extension that does that https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... s/stageit/
I use the traditional route so cannot comment on how well the staging extension works.
Thanks for the response. If I follow your advice, I simply make a folder in the main directory and copy all of the website files into that folder? Then I can make updates where necessary? When I want to implement the changes, I just copy the updated files to overwrite the files in the live site?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Many Thanks.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:32 am

No, this will not work. You also need a copy of the database. By copying only the files, the copy will make database changes to the live site. Use akeeba backup and kickstart.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:43 am

First I would advise update your joomla to 3.10 (3.9.8 is years out of date).

StageIt I assume makes a full copy of the site's files and database (in which your content is located). You do your work on the copy, then "push" the changes to the live site, through the component's interface. That component is pricey.

You might want to consider the alternative as I already outlined above and simply create a copy of the site.

Work on the copy; test any changes, install/remove/update extensions as necessary, and so on and then manually do the same to the live site. Essentially that way you're doubling the work, but you're keeping the sites synchronised, albeit manually.

The 'staging' site can either be a copy on your web hosting or offline in a local webserver software like WAMPServer, in which you can replicate closely your live environment and your website will run there like it does on the live site.
Regards - A Murray

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:18 pm

StageIT is the only "within" Joomla backend solution that work out of the box easy if you want to control that within Joomla backend easy.

This solution is also working with Joomla 3 and Joomla 4 so you are secure to use it for updates.

If you are serious with many users and devs or want to have control I can recommend it bcs I use it. https://www.php-web-design.com/Joomla-C ... oomla.html

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:41 am

AMurray wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:27 pm
The usual way as mentioned - work offline on your PC - run a web server like WAMPServer. That way you can closely replicate the live server environment in terms of PHP version etc., and WAMPServer in particular gives you flexibility on the choice of PHP so you can test with various versions.

Then when ready use the copy a website method to move your site to the live host.
ok thanks, i have better understanding now. just a couple more questions.

do i use the same copy a website instructions to get the live website on to my local computer?

can i use filezilla to upload the updated files to my live site?

Thanks

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:28 am

do i use the same copy a website instructions to get the live website on to my local computer?
Use Akeeba backup and move and install the archive on to your local host. It will package the site files and database. https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/akeeba-backup/
can i use filezilla to upload the updated files to my live site?
If you mean just overwrite the site files by FTP then NO! That does not update the database. Reverse the process using an Akeeba backup of your updated files from localhost or just redo the changes manually.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 pm

You can download a Joomla 4.0.3 Bitnami image and install it on your windows machine also and then upload to your own live site db/files or better use Akeeba Pro for that

Here is the download for a Joomla 4.0.3 that you can install on Windows https://bitnami.com/download/files/stac ... taller.exe

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies.

I will use Akeeba backup and download the site to work offline.

In the meantime I will update to Joomla 13.1.0 and hopefully this will sort the PHP problem I have when I update to PHP 7.4 with Siteground hosting.

I bought j2store, but havent paid for a new license as yet. When I update to Joomla 14, will I need a new license anyway?

Thanks for all the advice
JD

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”