Author, Editor, Publisher - unable to edit articles Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Author, Editor, Publisher - unable to edit articles

Post by Rik Brown » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 pm

I’m using Joomla 3.10.3 and the following permission issue has been driving me crazy for over a week now.

Previously, I hadn’t used the Author, Editor, & Publisher users groups. Since they weren’t set up on my system, I have set them up in accordance with the following article:

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Access_Con ... ermissions

They appear as follows:

Registered
-- Author
---- Editor
------ Publisher

I have set up one user to be a Publisher. Her Global and Article permissions look as per the attachments. However, nothing shows in the front end to edit or otherwise change any article.

Is there anywhere else I need to look?

Thanks. -- Rik

FYI - I am using JReviews but it uses Joomla permissions for editing articles.
capture1.JPG
capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Author, Editor, Publisher - unable to edit articles

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:33 pm

Rik Brown wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 pm
Previously, I hadn’t used the Author, Editor, & Publisher users groups ... since they weren’t set up on my system ...
That's surprising. I see that you've been a forum user here since 2008. Authors, editors and publishers have been around for longer! :laugh:

The default—author, editor, publisher—usergroups exist, out-of-the box, in all versions of J! 3.x. The article you cited is very old but, importantly, people should not have to go through such turmoil to let people create, edit or publish J! articles using the frontend interface. Yes, it's true that people may want to tailor the way(s) in which people can create, edit and publish J! articles and there are thousands of questions on this forum about the thousands of possible ways to tailor the experience. However, straight out of the box, authors can create articles, editors can create and edit articles and publishers can create, edit and publish articles and managers, administrators and superusers can do almost anything they like.

So, when I read "author, editor, publisher usergroups weren’t set up on [someone's] system", the alarm bells went off and I don't understand what someone may have done to clobber a standard feature that's been a part of J! before even I started using it.

It's never a good idea to play around with default settings—particularly J!'s ACL settings—unless (a) you really know what you're doing, and (b) you can recover from the mistakes that you might make. I can assure you that I've made many mistakes when I tinker with these ACL settings.

Rik Brown wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 pm
Nothing shows in the front end to edit or otherwise change any article.
What did you want to appear in the frontend to create, edit or publish an article? Maybe you need a menu item?
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rik Brown » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:27 pm

That's surprising. I see that you've been a forum user here since 2008. Authors, editors and publishers have been around for longer! :laugh:
Yes, I guess that since I never needed them before, I didn't know that they were missing. I also had to create Guest, Manager, and Administrator levels.
What did you want to appear in the frontend to create, edit or publish an article? Maybe you need a menu item?
I just assumed there would be a "gear" icon for those purposes.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:44 pm

And how do you create this "gear" thing?

If you read the "basic" instructions—so basic that you need another manual to make sense of it—they say
Click on “Submit an Article” in the user menu of the front end.
So where does this “Submit an Article” menu item come from? You have to create it.

So, here's the step-by-step guide: https://hostadvice.com/how-to/how-to-ad ... -joomla-3/

I hope that helps. 8)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rik Brown » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Thank you for the information.

Actually, the articles are created and Super Users and registered users have no difficulty in creating new ones.

My problem is just to allow "Publishers" the ability to edit those articles (& media) like Super Users. I'm not having success with that although the gear (edit) icon is there for all Super Users.

I do have a test Joomla 4.x site and permissions appear working correctly there. I'm trying to compare 4.x to 3.x and see if I can find any differences in permissions.

Also, instead of "upgrading" my current site to 4.x, I'll see instead if I can continue installing new versions of all extensions, modules, and plugins on 4.x and import my users there. It might be a roundabout method but I can see other advantages to that more lengthy route since there may be stray tables, modules, and plugins from prior installations (as you noted, going back to 2008).

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:34 pm

Rik Brown wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:27 pm
I do have a test Joomla 4.x site and permissions appear working correctly there. I'm trying to compare 4.x to 3.x and see if I can find any differences in permissions.
It could be concluded that, because you changed the ACL [permissions] that you have broken something. As I wrote before, changing ACLs is something that needs to be done carefully and make sure you have backup plan.

I avoid, as much as possible, tinkering with ACL settings (not that I can't do it, I just don't have any need to do those things).

There are topics in this forum about how to "restore" J!'s ACLs back to their defaults. I'm sure you can find those topics or someone else may be able to find them for you.

Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rik Brown » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 am

There are topics in this forum about how to "restore" J!'s ACLs back to their defaults. I'm sure you can find those topics or someone else may be able to find them for you.
I'll see what I can find there. Thanks.

Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rik Brown » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:28 am

Finally, I came upon the fix in this post:

How to reset permissions and access levels?

The only issue was that I had one custom user group with a few users that, of course, disappeared. So I had to add that user group back in. Otherwise, everything is working perfectly.

The following article was also useful:

Access Control List Tutorial

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”