some articles are inaccessable. Cannot edit columns or rows?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Sky9pilot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

some articles are inaccessable. Cannot edit columns or rows?

Post by Sky9pilot » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:53 am

I've accessed my articles several times and now some articles are inaccessable. Cannot edit columns or rows?
I've had the site several years and done several updates. In the past I just started a new article as a new page on the site. I should be able to access these articles columns, rows, images, headings etc.

I make changes and "Save and Close" and when I open the article again it's inaccessable! I'm frustrated.
Thanks,
Tom Akery
Sky9pilot

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: some articles are inaccessable. Cannot edit columns or rows?

Post by toivo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:05 am

When you say the article is inaccessible, do you see any error messages? Has the new article been inserted into the database?

Check the list the articles. Is there a lock symbol in front of the title of the article? If the cursor is hovered on the lock, the pop-up shows that the Check-in status of the article.

Some third party extension may be outdated or the versions of Joomla and third party extensions may not be compatible with a more recent version of PHP. is Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs so that the configuration can be reviewed.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Sky9pilot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky9pilot » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 pm

I can see the articles but cannot highlight an individual image or heading under the image. When I open the article to edit it appears the whole article is surrounded with the dotted line and individual rows, columns and images and headings cannot be accessed for editing.
Thanks,
Tom Akery

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:55 pm

Use the Web developer tools (F12) in the browser and check if the Console tab shows any javascript errors, highlighted in red. Copy and paste the relevant lines to your reply.

Use a snipping tool or similar to take a screenshot of the article when in edit mode, save the image as a .jpg file and add the file as an attachment to your reply after clicking the button 'Full Editor & Preview' underneath.

Sky9pilot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky9pilot » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:12 pm

I'm not very computer savy when it comes to site design. That's why I choose Joomla for it's ease of construction and page "article" construction. When you say Web developer tools (F12) in the browser...
I'm at a loss as to just what you mean. When you say browser are you referring to the page as it appears in the browser or are you referring to the system control panel page. So I'm confused. Sorry for not understanding.

Here's the screenshot of the control panel article I'm referring to.Image

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:02 pm

The screenshot you tried to add is somehow broken. Click 'Full Editor & Preview' and add the image file as an attachment.

Most browsers have an extension called Web developer tools and you can load it by pressing the function key F12.

Browse to the page that does not allow you to to edit it and press F12 so that the Console tab of that utility can be viewed. Javascript errors are highlighted in red. If any red lines are listed in the Console tab, those javascript errors block the functions provided by javascript, which includes different buttons like Save.

Sky9pilot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky9pilot » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:58 pm

Here's the second try with the screenshot. JSN says not to use Web browser controls while in edit mode so I haven't tried that. I'll see what I can do with that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sky9pilot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky9pilot » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:53 am

This is a Joomla site with JSN Pagebuilder which is a Joomla page editor. I don't understand your response: Joomla forum is about Joomla CMS. Linking to your website that is not a Joomla website or a Joomla related website may be considered as spam, and may be banned and reported to stopforumspam.com and Google

FreeFlightArchive.com is a Joomla site and has been from conception!
Regards
Tom Akery/Sky9pilot

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:02 am

Sky9pilot wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:53 am
I don't understand your response: Joomla forum is about Joomla CMS. Linking to your website that is not a Joomla website or a Joomla related website may be considered as spam, and may be banned and reported to stopforumspam.com
That was not a reply from anyone to your topic or last post. Those are standard words under the heading Quick Reply, notifying members who are about to post a reply that including links to non-Joomla websites is considered spamming.

Sky9pilot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky9pilot » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:10 am

I still haven't found a solution to the editing problem. The screen shot shows the dotted line around the whole article in the edit screen. This doesn't allow access to the individual images, headings, layouts etc. I'd like to be able to edit these pages but cannot! Help please.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:08 am

Which version of JSN Page Builder does the website have? The image you attached shows that the JSN PageBuilder Pro licence has expired. Apparently you can still use the product, according to the page Official Joomlashine After Closes FAQ And Alternative Solutions - Community Discussion.

Sky9pilot wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:58 pm
JSN says not to use Web browser controls while in edit mode so I haven't tried that. I'll see what I can do with that.
Did you check if the page displays any javascript errors? Do not worry what JSN said.

Sky9pilot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky9pilot » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:43 am

This is still a very puzzling problem. As you could see by the screen shot the dotted line around the whole page does not allow me to edit text, images, rows, columns, etc. I'm not computer language savy. The whole reason to go with Joomla and JSN Pagebuilder 3. I would love a solution to this problem. A step by step action would be appreciated. I tried to renew my license and couldn't get access. Said it was no longer in service. Please help with the problem.
Regards Tom Akery/Sky9pilot

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:21 am

Are you editing those articles using JSN PageBuilder and not Joomla editors like TinyMCE or JCE Editor?

Some page builders use their own proprietary format to store articles, which format is then interpreted before it is displayed as HTML and CSS. Not sure if JSN PageBuilder is in the same category.

JoomlaShine closed down six months ago and their extension JSN PageBuilder cannot be downloaded for testing purposes. What happens if you disable the JSN editor plugin? Can you still edit those pages?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”