Invalid usernames?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
seanos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Invalid usernames?

Post by seanos » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:04 am

I’ve done some searching, but haven’t found a clear description of what is a valid username in Joomla 3.

I’ve struck more than one account where trying to edit it gives an error about invalid username, but I’m wondering how these accounts were created in the first place if the username is invalid. I suppose you could change the username, but once again wouldn’t the same check be applied?

The site in question is bilingual so people might expect to be able to use áéíóú in their usernames. Are usernames restricted to ASCII except for \ " ' % ; ( )

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Invalid usernames?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:39 pm

What version of php are you running?

It has problems with 8.1

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:53 pm

As 3.10 rolls towards its EOL (Aug 2023), it is receiving critical security fixes only so an issue such as this may not be a candidate for a fix. However, you could try to post the issue on https://issues.joomla.org which will more directly reach the development team.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

seanos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by seanos » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:24 am

Currently running php v. 8.0.

I do plan to upgrade to Joomla 4, but I’m just a volunteer with limited time and it will require removing/testing a lot of components and doing a template redesign (since the template isn’t compatible).

This isn’t so much a particular support issue - I was just surprised I couldn’t find a simple answer about what is allowed.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:17 am

The maximum length of username is 30. The usernames are not limited to ASCII characters, AFAIK, unless some third party module or plugin sets its own restrictions.

What is the exact wording of the error message 'invalid username' and which language pack is the site using?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

seanos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by seanos » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:35 am

I changed those particular usernames, so I can't tell you the error message. The default language is Irish.

Once again, not a specific support request, just looking for what the limitations are.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”