Missing control menu in backend

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
CamillaV
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Missing control menu in backend

Post by CamillaV » Mon May 18, 2015 8:22 am

Hi,

I can't remember if it is with the new update or the update before but I have problems with the menus in backend.
Sometimes they disappear... I thought it was because I'm using Safari but it isn't...

Now I can't use my backend at all... Please see attached image.

What to do?

Best Regards,
Camilla.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CamillaV
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Missing control menu in backend

Post by CamillaV » Mon May 18, 2015 10:22 am

SOLVED! ;D :D

For some reason the access level on some of the Administrator modules was changed to Special.
I don't know why?
Any suggestions?

I had to change access level in my database in phpmyadmin.

Find xxx_modules --> xxx_toolbar and set the access level for example to 1 (it is public)

Then log in to your administrator panel in your Joomla page.
Maybe you can find the URL for module manager in your history.
Display the modules for your Administrator panel and see which access level the modules have. Set it to the same level as your account (Super Users).

Now you should be able to see the menus again!

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Missing control menu in backend

Post by Webdongle » Mon May 18, 2015 11:12 am

CamillaV wrote:...
For some reason the access level on some of the Administrator modules was changed to Special....
That is default for Joomla ... all default User Groups that have 'Admin Login' 'Allowed' are set in the 'Special' Access level. This is because the Module position that displays the Admin menu is set to the Access level 'Special' .

All the modules (except login) that are displayed in the Admin screen are set to 'Special' Access level ... this is so that only users with /administrator access can have access level. For security reasons the Access level of modules seen in the module manager admin filter ... should not be changed.

If a new user group is added and given 'Admin Login' 'Allowed' then that user group should be added to the 'Special' Access level. That way they will be able to see the the items on the Admin menu that their user group has 'Access Administration Interface' 'Allowed'

eg. 1.
New user group 'Another admin' with Permissions
'Admin Login' 'Allowed'
'Access Administration Interface' 'Allowed'
Can log in to /administrator but will not see the menu until 'Another admin' is selected in the 'Special' Access level

To allow a user group admin acess but only see specific items of the admin user menu then:
New user group 'Another admin' with Permissions
'Admin Login' 'Allowed'
'Access Administration Interface' 'Not Allowed'
Can log in to /administrator but will not see the menu. When 'Another admin' is selected in the 'Special' Access level they still will not be allowed to see the admin menu. By setting the 'Access Administration Interface' 'Allowed' in the individual Components etc. they will see the relative menu items.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”