JAuthentication: :__construct: Could not load authentication

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Locked
User avatar
LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:23 pm

JAuthentication: :__construct: Could not load authentication

Post by LukeDouglas » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:17 am

SOLVED!! SEE BELOW.

A couple of weeks ago I got a new phone upgrade with a transfer of all data but it appears my Google Authenticator did not retain my Joomla code access for one of my websites. I didn't realize this until I attempted to log into the admin panel recently. I got this screen but didn't have a 'Secret Key'.

Image

I did some research on workarounds and using phpMyAdmin, I set 'Enable' to '0' for the "plg_twofactorauth_totp" plugin. No luck. I did some more research and did the same thing for "plg_authentication_joomla". No luck.

I did some more research and someone said that the template might be the problem. So I change the default template, via phpMyAdmin, from the Isis template to Hanthor as well as tried on Chrome (I was using Firefox originally). Now I got the login without the 'Secret Key' window but I got a new problem after entering the 'correct' Username and Password: "JAuthentication: :__construct: Could not load authentication".

Image

I edited the "plg_authentication_joomla" plugin to set 'Enable' back to '1' but no luck.

So I changed 'Enable' to '0' for all plugins which had 'authentication' in the description or 'two factor' type text in the description. No luck!

At this point, I've exhausted every avenue that I have researched.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do without have to totally rebuilt this website from scratch?

Thanks.

Luke
Last edited by LukeDouglas on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 25769
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Akershus, Norway

Re: JAuthentication: :__construct: Could not load authentica

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:56 am

Does not settting a root user in configuration.php work?
https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... n.php_file


Haven't you saved the Emergency Keys?

It's saved in the fields "optKey" and "otep" in the #_users table.

User avatar
LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:23 pm

Re: JAuthentication: :__construct: Could not load authentica

Post by LukeDouglas » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Per Yngve Berg,

Actually, one of the very first things I tried was to change the password via phpMyAdmin. The password is NOT the issue. I tried removing the data in the "optKey" and "otep" fields. No luck. I even tried using another superuser account to login. Nope! I get the same "JAuthentication: :__construct: Could not load authentication libraries." warning message.

Any other ideas?

Luke

Per Yngve Berg wrote:Does not settting a root user in configuration.php work?

Haven't you saved the Emergency Keys?

It's saved in the fields "optKey" and "otep" in the #_users table.

User avatar
LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:23 pm

Re: JAuthentication: :__construct: Could not load authentica

Post by LukeDouglas » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:49 pm

VIOLA!!!!

As I posted previously, I had totally cleared out the 'otpKey' and 'otep' field values in my primary user login. In the backup user record, those fields were empty anyway.

I read a post on the ordering of authentication so I checked and the "plg_authentication_joomla" ordering field was '0'. I then set all of the other authentication plugins that has a value of '0' in the ordering field to '1'. I was able to login!!!!!

I'm assuming if you set two-factor authentication, it sets the ordering to '0' and if you remove two-factor authentication manually due to a change in phones with loss of Google Authenticator, it keeps trying to authenticate. So by changing the ordering, it allowed the "plg_authentication_joomla" to return a "JAUTHENTICATE_STATUS_SUCCESS" and logged me in.

To be honest, this was awful to diagnose and there should be a better way to manually disable two-factor authentication via the phpMyAdmin when someone loses the use of the authentication app they are using.

I am exhausted!!! :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Luke


Locked

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”