List/Remove old unused images

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
goshillo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

List/Remove old unused images

Post by goshillo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:53 am

Someone knows if exist some addon or script to list, and eventually delete, old unused images in Joomla 3?
I mean all images not linked to published articles or modules.
Many thanks and regards

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: List/Remove old unused images

Post by sozzled » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:02 am

I am not aware of any extension that will do this. How much is it worth to you for someone to create a script (or module) to perform this function?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

goshillo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by goshillo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:19 am

Hi sozzled,
I have many joomla sites that after years grow big and bigger due to images linked to content that does not exist anymore.
Unfortunately I am not able to write that module.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:43 pm

[Self Promotion Text Removed - ChiefGoFor]
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Good question. You could use something like Screaming Frog to scan your site and export a list of images then download the site's image folder and remove any that are not in that list, replace that directory. Those should be be the ones that are not in the scan as Screaming Frog only find images that are shown on the pages. Any images not in that list are safe to delete.

Then you always want to run a dead link checker to see if you are missing anything on your site.

I would backup the site first. You should be keeping backups anyway.

sm1201
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sm1201 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:57 pm

goshillo wrote:Someone knows if exist some addon or script to list, and eventually delete, old unused images in Joomla 3?
I mean all images not linked to published articles or modules.
Many thanks and regards
Hi
I've seen one at JED, doing exacly that you want: https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... hanimages/. Checks for unused images against your published content (articles and categories), HTML modules, contacts... May be some other stuff. Actually it's an addon to Joomla's native media component.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 pm

VX orphanImages looks cool indeed but have not used it yet. However be careful using these kind of tools. Even if they are not published now you might have references to them in Google for instance and removing them could (?) influence the values/ranking since they will show in Google as 404's (images not found). So when doing this make sure you have a recent index of your site at Google (make sure not to re-index if your ranking is good)

So if using these kinds of tools as given here jst make sure you have a good and working backup of your site before using these scripts

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
Member Joomla Bug Squad & Joomla CMS Release Team

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm pleased to see there's been some follow-up on this topic. VX orphanImages might be worth the investment. Zero reviews I[in the JED] on the product at the time of writing. I'd like to see what people think of it. Agree with @leolam, too, about the caveats in using such tools.

a2zcs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a2zcs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Has anyone used or have heard of any reviews for an extension that is not in the JED called R2H ImageManager? Their site indicates they can not only mark unused images, but batch process them (delete/move). They have a review tab on their site, but no reviews. It sounds perfect for identifying unused images and moving them before actually deleting them. But I hate to be anyone's guinea pig! Any thoughts from those more knowledgeable than I?

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 pm

It looks legit and is exactly what I was thinking. Plus it has power plugin. It has a free version.

a2zcs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a2zcs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm

It does look legit, just always wonder why a developer wouldn't have their extension listed in the JED. Seems like the best way to market it. Or am I being too paranoid?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”