Warning: Wrong Validation Code when Saving Front End

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tflores21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Warning: Wrong Validation Code when Saving Front End

Post by tflores21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi,

Just upgraded to 3.7 and get the "Wrong Validation Code" warning error when saving edits from the front end. It does not save the changes.

I can edit on the back end with no errors.

http://www.centerpointroseville.org

tflores21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Warning: Wrong Validation Code when Saving Front End

Post by tflores21 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Anyone have this issue? I've received no response.

BenTasker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BenTasker » Sat May 20, 2017 11:04 am

Don't know if you've solved this for yourself or not (as it's been a few days), but I've just had to resolve this for someone.

The repro is on a site upgraded to Joomla 3.7.0, log into the front-end, locate a com_content article and open it for editing. Click Save and you'll likely get
Warning
Invalid validation code
And any changes won't have been saved.

After a bit of digging, In this case, at least, the warning was being raised by the SecurImage plugin.

Prior to the 3.7.0 upgrade, no captcha had been enabled for the front-end editor, and going to Configuration -> Articles -> Editing layout still shows "Allow Captcha on Submit" as "None Selected".

But, disabling the SecurImage plugin led to a white screen on submission of the front-end form (with nothing logged other than a couple of strict standards warnings when error reporting is enabled).

Resolved by going Configuration -> Articles -> Editing Layout, selecting one of the plugins, saving and then setting the form back to "None Selected"

I've not dug in too much, but I'd guess that during upgrade an ID changed or something, so the previous value was now inadvertently pointing at the plugin.

The captcha wasn't visible on the front-end edit page, though the site I've been looking at has some template overrides in place, so it's more than possible it would have displayed on a vanilla template.

It was made a little harder to find by the fact that the securImage plugin doesn't keep it's language strings in either /language or /administrator/language, instead they're within a language directory with the plugin.
Ben Tasker

Code Monkey & Systems Manager
https://www.bentasker.co.uk

tflores21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tflores21 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Thank you Ben! That worked!

BenTasker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice