Menu item alias and external link menus are not working in module

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mitchel_jn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Menu item alias and external link menus are not working in module

Post by mitchel_jn » Tue May 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi,

Recently I have upgraded in Joomla 3.7 version. But after upgrading I am facing problem in module menu assignment. I have some menu items using external links and menu item alias, when I go to respective module and click on menu assignment to assign respective module to menu item which are external links and menu item alias, I can't select because it didn't allow me to select that menu items.

Can anybody help me to fix that issue or share any alternate to assign module to menu items which are built with external link or menu item alias.

Any help will be appreciate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Menu item alias and external link menus are not working in module

Post by andypooz » Tue May 16, 2017 12:26 pm

You can't assign modules to external links or aliases for good reason.
External links are intended for websites not connected with your Joomla install. Remember that assigning a module to a menu item means choosing to display it on the page the results after that menu item is clicked. If my menu item is http://google.com, it should be obvious that I won't be able to get my Joomla modules to display in googles search page. If you're using the 'external link' menu type to link to a page on your Joomla site, then you need to find a way to link to it without using this menu item type option.
Assigning modules to menu item aliases isn't necessary, as all modules assigned to the orginial menu item should be displayed when the alias type menu item is clicked. An alias means that the menu item is identical in all respect to the original (source) menu item. If you're getting your module to display when the source menu item is clicked, but not with the alias, then that needs to investigated though.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

debnigra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by debnigra » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:17 pm

I am having the trouble you mentioned: the assigned modules display on the source menu item but NOT on the menu alias item.

We are using J 3.8.2.

Ideas? Thanks.

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by andypooz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm

I've never seen this behaviour. Without seeing the site for myself I can't begin to guess what's going on.
When you click on the alias item, is the url in the address bar identical to the one you see when you use the original menu item?
What type of module is it? Is there anything fancy in its code that reads request variables?
Do you get any js errors in the console for either of the pages?
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

steveyoung
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by steveyoung » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello,
I am also experiencing this issue. Alias points to another menu item. Modules are present on the original menu item but not on the alias.
Anyone find a solution?
Joomla 3.8.5

Maksee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Maksee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 pm

andypooz wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:26 pm
Assigning modules to menu item aliases isn't necessary, as all modules assigned to the orginial menu item should be displayed when the alias type menu item is clicked. An alias means that the menu item is identical in all respect to the original (source) menu item. If you're getting your module to display when the source menu item is clicked, but not with the alias, then that needs to investigated though.
For example, I needed to trick zoo component to allow aliased item rendered with the component but having the other set of modules and another template style. So I also faced the same "grayed out" problem (can't select modules differently for the alias), but still can assign a different Template style to the menu alias. So Joomla only partially prevents me from making aliased menu non-identical to the original. I think if I'm not allowed to shoot myself in the foot then the Template Style combo should also be grayed out.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:42 am

You cannot assign modules to alias

Also why all 3 here are not opening your own issue? You are hijacking this post. Your chances to get help are much bigger when you post your own issue. Hardly ever is a post "the same" so do yourself a favor

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

milesreid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Menu item alias menus are not displaying module

Post by milesreid » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm

I have exactly this problem as well.
My original menuitem accesses an article and displays a module just how I want. When I create an alias to this menuitem, the module is not displayed.

Version of Joomla is 3.9.1 Template is photon (gantry 5), but this issue has also been tested with Buildr template from JoomlaBamboo.
Miles

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Menu item alias menus are not displaying module

Post by sozzled » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 pm

milesreid wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm
Version of Joomla is 3.9.1
Why are you using an outdated version of Joomla? The current version is J! 3.9.2.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”