My Calendar Dates are wrong

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

My Calendar Dates are wrong

Postby mfino » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 pm

When using something like Akeeba backup when I select a date they are wrong. I have noticed other places the dates show wrong. Is there a file I can check the settings to see if they set to my EST Time Zone?

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: My Calendar Dates are wrong

Postby AMurray » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:24 am

Please be more specific in the information you've given - can you specify what date(s) exactly in Akeeba Backup you're referring to? (provide screenshots if you need to). I can't see anything in Akeeba Backup professional that is a date field you have to set.

In what way are the dates wrong - being out of sync with your own time, by how much? Where are you located - your country/state/locality/continent and what is your time zone (as in +/- hours from GMT).

Please check you have set the time setting in Global configuration correctly: under Global Confirmation > Server > Server Time Zone.

Set it to your locality/time zone/city (which ever is applicable).

It may be something you can't change such as a setting on the hosting company's web server.

Which version of Akeeba Backup - Basic or Pro - and if Pro (as you need a subscription for support) have you asked the developers through their ticketing system?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby AMurray » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 am

I don't know if you are talking about the "manage backups" list where it records the time/date of the backup archive?

On my system it shows the date time but as UTC time not my local time which is GMT +7:00

Is that what you perhaps mean?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 am

Your question leaves so many details behind that we don't know exactly what time setup you are referring

But If you notice the correct time is not displaying in your PHP scripts the likely culprit is that the hosting server is in a different time zone.

if your web hosting allows you to have local php.ini, you can easily correct by creating php.ini in your website directory and date.timezone = "US/Central" code.

Replace "US/Central" with your time zone, get you corresponding time zone here; http://www.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Ok to better clarify. These are some of the things I have been noticing. When I run something like Akeeba backup, when i select the backup function the time is way off. I should be set for New York EST. At least that is what i think I have it set to in my global configuration unless there is another place for the setting, but I have looked all over. I have attached two images 1 of my locations setting and a screen shot to show you the time difference. When I started to take the backup it was 9:35 Am here on Aug. 25th 2017. If you look at the Akeeba short description it says Friday, August 25, 2017 13:34 (1:34 PM) so somehow I am showing to be 4 hours a head when I run this application. There are other applications that I saw the dates not matching, when i have more time I will look to see if I can take some snapshots there. It does seem to be with more than one application though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 pm

AMurray wrote:I don't know if you are talking about the "manage backups" list where it records the time/date of the backup archive? On my system it shows the date time ... as UTC time ...
New York city is UTC -4:00. I think that the OP just answered their own question. ;)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:32 pm

sozzled wrote:
AMurray wrote:I don't know if you are talking about the "manage backups" list where it records the time/date of the backup archive? On my system it shows the date time ... as UTC time ...
New York city is UTC -4:00. I think that the OP just answered their own question. ;)

So are you saying it is not possible to change the time for Akeeba? How does that explain other extensions having the wrong time or dates? Give me time today and I will come back with screen shots for you if you need them..

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm

What I will like to know is your Default time zone corresponds correctly with your local time..

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:12 pm

josh2015 wrote:What I will like to know is your Default time zone corresponds correctly with your local time..

Can you be a little more specific.. Default time for joomla? Would that be the location setting that I attached the picture earlier, or is there another gloabal setting?

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Default time zone is a time zone set in your php main configuration file...

Eg' My local time is Africa/Johannesburg, and in my server php Default time zone is set to Africa/Johannesburg this way php report everything in my local time zone Africa/Johannesburg.

You can get it through server infor or by creating phpinfo.php details how create file here https://mediatemple.net/community/produ ... o.php-page

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:40 pm

The thing is you have to make sure php Default time zone is set to your local time zone yours is 'America/New_York'
to know if is set right you may create phpinfor.php details here https://mediatemple.net/community/produ ... o.php-page

if set right go to second step, if not,
=> update your php config, change date.timezone = "anything" to date.timezone = "America/New_York" save
or
=> creating local server' php.ini file enter date.timezone = "America/New_York" save

Second;
Edit configuration.php find line which says public $offset = 'UTC';
change to public $offset = 'America/New_York';
save refresh, your time difference will be gone,

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:12 pm

mfino wrote:Default time for joomla? Would that be the location setting that I attached the picture earlier, or is there another global setting?
I suggest that you review https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Global_con ... ings_Group
Server Time Zone. Sets the time zone for use across the web site, based on a choice of capital cities. (default is “London”, UTC 00:00) Internally, Joomla stores the date and time of events as UTC. It then uses “Server Time Zone” to set the appropriate offset to display time and date information on the web site in the server's local time zone. Note: each user also has a time zone parameter that, by default, is the same as the Server Time Zone but which may be changed to reflect the preferred time zone of that user.
The important point is that each user can set the "preferred time zone" for that user. Therefore, to address your question about "another global setting", there's a per-user setting.

@mfino: go to the backend: Users » Manage and find your user account. Display your account details and go to the Basic Settings tab; then change the time zone for your account. This will probably display the dates/times as you want (instead of changing the configuration.php file). 8)
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby jonBuckner1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:24 pm

I thought having my akeeba backups with the 'wrong' time was just a fact of life I had to accept.

Thanks all for the questions and answers.

I'm gonna see if I can get this done myself

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:27 pm

@Jon: When I look at Components » Akeeba Backup » Manage Backups, the dates/times are shown according to my local timezone. I haven't directly edited my configuration.php file—heaven forbid I should have to do that!

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Server Time Zone. Sets the time zone for use across the web site, based on a choice of capital cities.
(default is “London”, UTC 00:00) Internally, Joomla stores the date and time of events as UTC. It then uses “Server Time Zone” to set the appropriate offset to display time and date information on the web site in the server's local time zone. Note: each user also has a time zone parameter that, by default, is the same as the Server Time Zone but which may be changed to reflect the preferred time zone of that user."

Exactly, what am talking about
“Server Time Zone” is your default PHP time zone
with Joomla public $offset = 'UTC'; gives you that 4hr difference you see not only in Akeeba but everywhere in Joomla

But
if you set “Server Time Zone” to your local time zone.
still Joomla will use public $offset = 'UTC'; to off set time..
Problem not solve

change public $offset = 'UTC'; in your configuration.php
to public $offset = 'America/New_York';
You have solved a problem cause, an offset will be 0, nothing
time and date will be displayed as it should be

Anyway, if find better way to go around this plz share it might help me & others
Last edited by josh2015 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Better to set timezone of your city in a php.ini. Some times even if you change the timezone in joomla, you still get the timezone of the server. If you don t know how to do it, better to ask your host to put you an additional php.ini file to your root to have the timezone that you want.
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:17 am

sozzled wrote:
mfino wrote:Default time for joomla? Would that be the location setting that I attached the picture earlier, or is there another global setting?
I suggest that you review https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Global_con ... ings_Group
Server Time Zone. Sets the time zone for use across the web site, based on a choice of capital cities. (default is “London”, UTC 00:00) Internally, Joomla stores the date and time of events as UTC. It then uses “Server Time Zone” to set the appropriate offset to display time and date information on the web site in the server's local time zone. Note: each user also has a time zone parameter that, by default, is the same as the Server Time Zone but which may be changed to reflect the preferred time zone of that user.
The important point is that each user can set the "preferred time zone" for that user. Therefore, to address your question about "another global setting", there's a per-user setting.

@mfino: go to the backend: Users » Manage and find your user account. Display your account details and go to the Basic Settings tab; then change the time zone for your account. This will probably display the dates/times as you want (instead of changing the configuration.php file). 8)

My server default is set to New York and when I change the user basic setting from "use default" to "new york"... Nothing changes....So either I am doing this wrong but your instructionsa seem pretty clear and they do not work for me :(

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:32 am

There's probably a simple explanation for all of this—and, by the way, I would ignore a lot of the interference about changing php.ini settings at this time—and the Forum Post Assistant would probably cut through the static and lead us to some useful information to help you.

But, to continue to do this the slow way: are you using any caching on your website and, if you are, have you cleared all the caches? Did you also logout and login after making any changes to your user account—the account you use when you administer your website, I mean. ???

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:15 am

sozzled wrote:There's probably a simple explanation for all of this—and, by the way, I would ignore a lot of the interference about changing php.ini settings at this time—and the Forum Post Assistant would probably cut through the static and lead us to some useful information to help you.

But, to continue to do this the slow way: are you using any caching on your website and, if you are, have you cleared all the caches? Did you also logout and login after making any changes to your user account—the account you use when you administer your website, I mean. ???

Yes Using caching
Yes Cleared Cache
Yes Logged out
Yes Logged in
No change

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Also it appears that my php file is set to america / new york. I also confirmed that with the host.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm

It is a simple solution for this issue. In global configuration set the server time to the timezone where your server is located

Leo 8)
Celebrating 12-Years of Professional Joomla Support Services
- Joomla Professional Support:https://gws-desk.com -
- Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions:https://gws-host.com -
- Member Joomla Bug Squad & J-CMS Release Team

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:43 pm

mfino wrote:Also it appears that my php file is set to america / new york. I also confirmed that with the host.

Good Now get your hand dirty grab configuration.php in whatsoever means you have;
change public $offset = 'UTC'; to public $offset = 'America/New_York';
This is "somewhere" you are not changing

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:32 pm

josh2015 wrote:
mfino wrote:Also it appears that my php file is set to america / new york. I also confirmed that with the host.

Good Now get your hand dirty grab configuration.php in whatsoever means you have;

It looks like it is changed already...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:34 pm

mfino wrote:
josh2015 wrote:

What Joomla version you are still on? my New Joomla doesn't have "offect_user" any more
And why Public offect_user is not changedd?
All should be the same.. should it be America/New_York too not UTC as it is
Change and Lets us know

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

josh2015 wrote:
mfino wrote:
josh2015 wrote:Good Now get your hand dirty grab configuration.php in whatsoever means you have;

What Joomla version you are still on? my New Joomla doesn't have "offect_user" any more
And why Public offect_user is not changedd?
All should be the same.. should it be America/New_York too not UTC as it is
Change and Lets us know

I changed it but there is no change. And the Joomla version I have is "You already have the latest Joomla version, 3.7.5."

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 am

After all, changes you made,
1.Akeeeba is still showing to be 4 hours a head when you run this application
2.You still see Other applications with the dates/time not matching or Is just Akeeba only still have the problem?
I want to know is the rest of the part is ok and Akeeba is still

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby josh2015 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:19 am

Are you acquainted with Forum Post Assistant,
this post will help viewtopic.php?t=582860
Use this tool will help pinpoint problem and you will get help you need very fast
Last edited by josh2015 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:27 am

Still doing things the slow way, are we? I guess the Forum Post Assistant idea was a waste of time, hmm?

mfino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mfino » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm

sozzled wrote:Still doing things the slow way, are we? I guess the Forum Post Assistant idea was a waste of time, hmm?

I am not sure what I am missing, but I tried your ideas first they didn't work. So unless you can point out what I didn't try with your suggestions, you are part of the "slow" way you refer. Please excuse me for missing something if I did, I would still consider myself a novice when it comes to joomla. Thank you for your help if you have good input... I appreciate your time and not wasting mine with unnecessary comments along the way. Cheers!

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:41 pm

At the risk of mentioning this for the fifth time in this topic—twice before by me and twice before quoted by you—have you ever heard of the Forum Post Assistant report generator before now?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”