How do I display an iframe in joomla 3.8. October 2017

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
anlicor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How do I display an iframe in joomla 3.8. October 2017

Post by anlicor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 pm

For what ever reason I am unable to display iframes after the 2 latest updates.

I changed "script,applet,iframe" to just "script,applet" For all 3 sets and it still removes the iframes.

Is this a known issue? What else do I need to do to enable iframes?
Website design and development from anlicor.com

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: How do I display an iframe in joomla 3.8. October 2017

Post by xfsgpr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:27 pm

I changed "script,applet,iframe" to just "script,applet" For all 3 sets and it still removes the iframes.
It looks like you also need to change the settings for Filtering. To do this, go to Global Configuration and under Text Filters (this is a TAB) choose the user type/Group and make sure it says "No Filtering".

If I were you, I would change every user group to "No Filtering" because that way you don't get any problems.

Also, I would remove Script from the list because in Web Design, you are inevitably use scripts from time to time so best thing is to allow it as well. Applets can be restricted because not many people use. I don't use them.

Good luck.

anlicor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anlicor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:31 am

It seems like its at no filter for the admin and super admin as well.
Do you really need to set it to no filter for all?
By the way I have not changed anything other than the tinymce settings as yet this is how it looks by default.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Website design and development from anlicor.com

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:23 am

Try using the iframe module and not the menu type. There have been a few reports of the iframe not working using the menu type.

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by xfsgpr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:18 pm

It seems like its at no filter for the admin and super admin as well.
Do you really need to set it to no filter for all?
By the way I have not changed anything other than the tinymce settings as yet this is how it looks by default.
Normally everything should work if you have allowed the iframe under the correct Set. There are three sets and you need Set 0 as the one in which you need Iframe to be allowed. See these three pictures attached:
pict01.png
pict02.png
pict03.png
All this is under the "Editor - TinyMCE" plugin tab.

I normally like to remove restrictions for all including the public because I don't see why there should be any restrictions when your security features are quite adequate. This is just me but clearly in some cases restrictions are necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rouhunko
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rouhunko » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 am

Same issue here. I need to generate the URL dynamicly but Joomla does not output the iframe tags, no matter if text filters are off for all users.
{source} <?php echo "<iframe src='http://cnn.com'></iframe>"; ?> {/source}

rouhunko
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rouhunko » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:27 am

Got it working like this:
{source}<?php $url="http://cnn.com" ?>{/source}
<iframe src="{source}<?php echo $url ?>{/source}" height="800" width="900"></iframe>

First allow iframes.
https://www.itoctopus.com/jce-editor-st ... frame-code

JohnJuhl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JohnJuhl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 am

I have the same kind of problem - no matter what I do, (Tiny settings, no texfilters etc.) I still get an auto-corretc from typing "iFrame" to "i-Frame" when saving. Anyone had that problem - and found the cure ?

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by xfsgpr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 am

JohnJuhl wrote:I have the same kind of problem - no matter what I do, (Tiny settings, no texfilters etc.) I still get an auto-corretc from typing "iFrame" to "i-Frame" when saving. Anyone had that problem - and found the cure ?
The cure is quite simple but you really need to tell us which editor you are using. There are two main editors in use: JCE and the joomla Default editor called TinyMCE. The settings to allow iFrame and scripts is in the editor itself. The code is stripped out in the editor so clearly the settings must be in the editor. Don't you think so?

JohnJuhl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JohnJuhl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 am

I use CodeMirror. But have tried TinyMCE as well as No eidtor - still the same. ??

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by xfsgpr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 am

Change back to TinyMCE editor and then go to:

1) Extensions >> Plugins

2) Search for TinyMCE and then Click on it.

3) Now change to Set 0 Tab as shown in this picture:
2017-11-16_04-19-46.png
4) Scroll down and look for something like this:
2017-11-16_04-22-28.png

5) Notice the text that says Phobited Elements. You need to remove the iframe from the list and also the comma just before it.

6) Also remove Script and comma after it so that the only thing left is Applet (No commas and nothing else.

7) Click on Save and Close button

8) Now try to embed a [youtube] video to see if this works. Please make sure you are logged in as Administrator, Editor or Super Users. this is the default assignment for this Set 0. There are other tabs as well but I doiubt if you have allowed them to create articles on your site but now you know how to do it.

Good luck.

Kyuuketsuki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kyuuketsuki » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 am

Hi,

I am getting this issue too ... I want to embed iframe code inside my articles (different code for each article) but, although I can paste it in to the code view of an article, as soon as I save it, it disappears.

I am using the JCE editor.

Thx

Keke
Kekerusey Skxe'itan
http://www.jc-rocks.com (JC-Rocks/Geekanology) & http://www.rocksquad.co.uk (RSQ Computers)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:21 am

JohnJuhl wrote:I have the same kind of problem - no matter what I do, (Tiny settings, no texfilters etc.) I still get an auto-corretc from typing "iFrame" to "i-Frame" when saving. Anyone had that problem - and found the cure ?
This is the spell-checker in your brower.

futur22
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by futur22 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 pm

I have the same issue. It seems to be a bug in joomla?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:55 pm

futur22 wrote:I have the same issue.
The same issue meaning, what, when you type "iFrame" the text is autocorrected to "i-Frame"? Is that what you mean? :pop

Kyuuketsuki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kyuuketsuki » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 am

I experimented with several editors (JCE, ARKEditor) with no real success but, for those interested, I have a solution of sorts.

First of all, I changed the internal editor to the ARKEditor because I can still see the iFrame source if I switch to the HTML "Source" view. Because I have difficulty using the visual "Design" view (can't see the iFrame components properly), I use an external HTML editor (BlueGriffon) to create my code and paste that code, without page headers, into my new documents. All of this allows me to include iFrame components.

However, that didn't solve my problem because my problem wasn't really with Joomla ... it was with Adblockers. I detest adverts (at least the annoying in-yer-face ones) so I use Firefox with an adblocker and several other add-ons. It turns out that adblockers, Joomla and iFrames don't seem to get on all that well but I was mucking about with different browsers and found that both IE and Edge (neither of which seem to have much in the way of adblockers) worked whilst Firefox, Chrome and Opera didn't. Disabling add-ons (Firefox) and extensions (Chrome) solved the problem so, after a bit of mucking about, I had whitelisted my site in both Firefox and Chrome and the iFrame components displayed AOK. Opera has an inbuilt adblocker but, like Firefox and Chrome you can whitelist a domain.

The upshot of all this is that it doesn't really appear to be Joomla at all, even if there might be some contribution to problems from the default editor which appears to remove iFrame code, all you need to do is switch your editor to something like ARKEditor. Adblocking issues aside (you do need to allow your browser to view iFrames), I suspect that's all you need to do but I quite like using my external HTML editor as I'm a bit of a dinosaur and I was always much more comfortable with direct HTML coding than using flashy systems like Joomla.

The big problem however, is that anyone visiting my site who uses adblocking will still have a problem in that my stuff won't display but, aside from posting a warning, I suspect there's not much I can do about that.

Anyway, I hope that helps someone :)

Keke
Kekerusey Skxe'itan
http://www.jc-rocks.com (JC-Rocks/Geekanology) & http://www.rocksquad.co.uk (RSQ Computers)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

oneofone
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by oneofone » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Finally any one have 100% worked solution to put iframe inside article? All wot is writed below not worked on j3.9, I have tested.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 am

this discussion topic is on 3.8 from october 2017, if you want a topic on 3.9 from november 2018 please start a new topic.
thanks
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”