Creating article in front end - select category

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
ConservativeBob
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Creating article in front end - select category

Post by ConservativeBob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Hello

I have a problem with how to enable a front end user to select a category when creating an article.

The menu structure is for Category List. When the user attempts to create a new document, the 'Category' drop down, under Publishing, is disabled.
Category dropdown.JPG
Is there a way to enable the dropdown so that a user can select a category?

Thank you.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Creating article in front end - select category

Post by AMurray » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Would it depend if you have created the categories, in order to be listed in that drop-down; I mean, have you created the categories in the Administrator?

The behaviour above I would expect if there was only the one category "Home Page News" but if there were others to choose from that drop-down should be active.

Can you provide a screen-shot of the category list in the back-end, just to confirm what I am saying, that you have more than one category to choose from - and that they are all published.

[EDIT] I can't replicate the issue - I can select the category as I would expect to be able to.

What Joomla version do you use, and what editor?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Maybe this has to do with the user's permissions or the group they are in? e.g. Author, editor, publisher? Maybe Author for example not permitted to select category although, seems strange that would be the case.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

ConservativeBob
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ConservativeBob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:06 pm

There are multiple categories (attached). I support, but did not create, this site. I have a wamp server for testing, and do not have the problem with that system. I was hoping a comparison of menu options (test vs production) would show me where the option is set. Could not find it.

I will investigate the user/group permissions. Hopefully there is a difference.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”