Menu issues

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
edform
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Menu issues

Post by edform » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Having built a system to call 365 daily articles by month and then by day, I ran into menu issues.

I thought at first I'd simply have a two level menu with the first level choosing one of the 12 months and the second level listing the 28-31 days in each month, but that doesn't work - the menu becomes enormous when displayed on smartphones.

After a lot of hassle I slimmed the menu down to a 12 month first level choice, each item of which calls a page with a table of numbers for the days and each number in the tables conceals a link to the correct page from the set of 365.

Then I found that the Joomla 3.xx main menu is bad on touch-enabled devices anyway - menus disappear before you get the chance to select an item from them.

I've tried several alternative menus that do offer delayed closure of opened menus but they all have a big problem - the Link Type/Display in menu setting does not work, whereas it works perfectly in the built in menu.

Is it possible to introduce a dropdown dwell time into the operation of the standard menu system?

Ed Form

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Menu issues

Post by effrit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 pm

there is no "standard menu system" because each template have own styles.
is it Protostar or Beez?

edform
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edform » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm

effrit wrote:there is no "standard menu system" because each template have own styles.
is it Protostar or Beez?
Sorry Effrit - dumb of me. I'm using Protostar
Ed Form

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:15 am

you can try forbid clicking for parent menu item, so user will see drop menu instead of going to the page.

to parent menu item, in Link CSS Style put ' noClick' (leading space)
and in CSS

Code: Select all

.noClick {
   pointer-events: none;
   color:#222 !important;
}
if result not the same as you want then use 3rd party menu module and fix it to show Link Type/Display in menu settings.

edform
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edform » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:43 pm

effrit wrote:you can try forbid clicking for parent menu item, so user will see drop menu instead of going to the page.

to parent menu item, in Link CSS Style put ' noClick' (leading space)
and in CSS

Code: Select all

.noClick {
   pointer-events: none;
   color:#222 !important;
}
if result not the same as you want then use 3rd party menu module and fix it to show Link Type/Display in menu settings.
I'll give this a try. Thank's effrit.

I have already tried six menu modules but they all kill the ability to hide the menu entries asociated with the 365 pages.

Ed Form

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:06 pm

so you must choose more suitable module and force it to hide menu items.
it's learning path - solve small problem and become smarter :)

edform
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edform » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:22 pm

I partially solved this myself with a feature that I didn't know about.

In the Protostar main menu you make a menu item a main header by setting its parent as the Menu Item Root and it's item type as URL.

If you leave the URL blank, the dropdowns fly out on hover over a main menu item and disappear when you move off it.

If you make the URL something not translatable - a # for example - the dropdowns still fly out on hover, but they lock open if you click the main menu item. You are then free to choose something from the fly-out menu.

Menus made like this work on touch screen devices.

The 'partial' solution aspect is that this approach doesn't work for second and lower level menu items. They continue to disappear when the hover is removed.

I'm going to solve this secondary problem with a kludge - I'll turn the fly-out marker item back into a page selection item and build a menu item into the page it calls.

Ed Form

It's probably useless to mention it only here, but every third-party menu module I've tried - a total of 12 - kills the ability to construct hidden menus by marking the top level and every sub level item as hidden in the Link Type section of their settings. So you can have menus with nice inbuilt touch control capability and adjustable delays for closure of flyouts, but you cannot use hidden menus at the same time. This is quite a bad bug. Should I report this, and if so, where?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”