Users not logged out after session expiry

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
MBButton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Users not logged out after session expiry

Postby MBButton » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 am

I am using Joomla 3.8.4.

I have a Joomla site with paid memberships which give access to certain areas on the site, so controlling logged in users is very important.

I am finding that users are not logged out automatically even after their session has expired. I realize that the "keep alive" behaviour can cause this. I have therefore removed login/logout forms from all pages. When examining the source code there is no keep alive script to be found.

The only way I can find that a user can be timed out is if (a) the browser is left open displaying my site; (b) there is no activity on the site for the timeout period; (c) the browser is refreshed after the timeout period. This logs the user out.

However it is common for users to close the browser window without logging out. When this happens, the user's session is kept alive indefinitely. This can create problems like sessions being kept open for days on end; user being logged in to the site on different computers; user getting locked out of his account (when restricting the user's number of sessions).

I would be most grateful for any help.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Users not logged out after session expiry

Postby dhuelsmann » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Upgrade to 3.8.5. There was a problem with sessions in 3.8.4
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

transplant26
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby transplant26 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm

I've upgraded to 3.8.5 and am experiencing the same problem. No matter what time I set for seesion expiry, the user stays logged in.

Any other thoughts?

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby gws » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm

transplant26 wrote:I've upgraded to 3.8.5 and am experiencing the same problem. No matter what time I set for seesion expiry, the user stays logged in.

Any other thoughts?

Read the posts by Mbabker, may give you some insight, here. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=958979&start=30#p3512932

KianWilliam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby KianWilliam » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am

In that case why don't you use unload event of jquery to terminate the user session yourself?
you may add it in the main page : index.php using addScript and ajax in that script to end session in
a php file.
Kian William

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”