Email to a user group

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Geekest1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Email to a user group

Post by Geekest1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi,

I have been away from Joomla since 2010 and I can attest to the truth of the old cliche "If you don't use it you you loose it :'(

So the first thing I tried to do is set up a users group, woo hoo! it worked. The system sent an email to advise them that someone had added them as a user etc. They received that. I then prepared an email to send to that group myself explaining what I was doing. I thought I sent it but it doesn't seem anyone received it.

So the question is where can I look to see a log of emails I have sent as the site admin.

Thanks!
Rick

annahersh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Email to a user group

Post by annahersh » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:50 am

Did you send the message using the mass mailer or the messaging component? If it's the latter, the messages are displayed in the messaging component view. Are you using a third party extension to mail to groups?

Geekest1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Geekest1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Thank you for your response Anna!
I am using the native Joomla mass mailer. I login as admin, send a mass email to a defined group and immediately after I hit send I am asked to login. No one receives any mail.
Rick

annahersh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by annahersh » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:20 pm

If no error messages display, it may be that your host is blocking bulk emailing. You may need to get an SMTP service and configure Joomla to send via SMTP and use the credentials. There are a few free services which allow up to a preset daily sending amount.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:01 pm

There are extensions that allow gaps during mass mailing.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:01 pm
There are extensions that allow gaps during mass mailing.
...and which are able to interrogate your server settings to work within limitations with regard mass emailing. I use one of these and don't use Joomla's in-built "mass email" function any more.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.1

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”