Show username on frontend checked out article

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Scrabble
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Show username on frontend checked out article

Post by Scrabble » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:30 pm

I am creating a website for an organisation that will have several users on the front end with limited (non-Admin) permissions. Once the site goes live I will have minimal input as far as content is concerned.

I have created a special menu for these users and each menu item has a list of articles in a particular category. Each list displays four columns: Title, Published Date, Author and Edit Article.

If a user is editing an article or opens an article to edit it and doesn't save or close it, but just clicks the browser 'back' button, then the article is shown as "Checked out" under the 'Edit Article' column heading.

Other users can see that the article is checked out but not by whom.

Is there a way to display the user name when hovering over the 'Checked out' words? I am trying to avoid them contacting me as administrator to log in and unlock the article for them. Much better that they contact the culprit and get them to do it.

Thanks.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Show username on frontend checked out article

Post by effrit » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:12 pm

If your list created from category articles list, you can get id of user by checked_out property.
so u can make single query for users table, get all of them and show name based on id.

Scrabble
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Scrabble » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm

effrit wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:12 pm
If your list created from category articles list, you can get id of user by checked_out property.
so u can make single query for users table, get all of them and show name based on id.
Thank you. The list is a menu item > category list. I can't see how to select to display user id by checked_out property.

In the List Layouts tab and Options tab there are options to show Author but not Checked out by.

I'm not sure I understand "u can make single query for users table". What do I do to achieve this? It's not a one-off query I need but a permanent column display.

Thanks.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 pm

I mean you have ID of checked users in page code.
So you can make code (query to database and take username, based on this ID).

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”