Error Log

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
dangling
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Error Log

Post by dangling » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:19 am

Hello,

I'm trying to work out why a module is not loading on my pages can't get to the bottom of it. I have set the error reporting to maximum in global configuration/server but I cannot see where to view the errors. There doesn't appear to be anything in the root/logs folder or the root/tmp folder.

Do I also need to change the debug settings to Yes in global config/system ? Or are the logs elsewhere ?

Thanks
Paul

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Error Log

Post by toivo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:25 am

Configure the scope of the debug log in the system plugin 'System - Debug'.

You can limit the debug function to the user group 'Super Users' but make sure you select 'Log almost everything'.

Now you can find the log file everything.php in the folder administrator/logs.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

dangling
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dangling » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks Toivo,

This is test server so not public. It was a backup of main site and path to log files was incorrect. I get log file but no error. Oh well.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:47 pm

The option 'Maximum' should be enough, but check the PHP configuration from System - System Information - PHP Information. Search for the word 'error' from the page and check the column Local Value.

Do you have full access to your test server? If not, you can always install a bundle like XAMPP or Wampserver to your workstation as a localhost server.

The Wampserver forum has the installation instructions and also tutorials how to create virtual hosts so that you have several test sites at your fingertips. It also supports several versions of PHP and switching between versions, which is handy when testing third party extensions before upgrading PHP.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:55 pm

dangling wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

This is test server so not public. It was a backup of main site and path to log files was incorrect. I get log file but no error.
Use akeeba to restore a backup it writes the correct path to the configuration.php file
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”