Time Zones

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mrgreg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Time Zones

Post by mrgreg » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:24 am

With all do respect to the Joomla community and developers, I find the time zone implementation absurd. While it may make sense on the server / admin side, it makes no sense for end users who use the apps that are developed to ride over the top of the convoluted implementation.

That rant complete, I operate a site that has users in 4 time zones (but lets go with all 6):

HST Hawaii Standard Time
AKDT Alaska Daylight Time
PDT Pacific Daylight Time
MST Mountain Standard Time
UMDT Mountain Daylight Time
CDT Central Daylight Time
EDT Eastern Daylight Time

My intention is to strip all others from the Joomla core file that contains the full list.
Problem is, it has been years since I have seen the offending file.

Anybody know where it hides?

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Time Zones

Post by KianWilliam » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:13 am

Better not to change joomla core files, you would like each user from a different country view only its own time zone?
Kian William

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:27 am

u can add jqury script to page and filter zones u need.

Code: Select all

var arr=["Africa/Abidjan", "Pacific/Fiji", "Atlantic/Canary"]; // here zones we need to show
$('#jform_params_timezone optgroup option').prop('disabled', true).css('display', 'none'); // first, hide all zones
arr.forEach(function(item, i, arr) {
$("#jform_params_timezone optgroup option[value='"+item+"']").prop('disabled', false).css('display', 'block'); // show custom zones
		});

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:52 pm

I believe the Time Zones resides in the php library, not in Joomla.

Where do you see Tine Zones in the Front-end?

Time Zone is set in the client OS.

mrgreg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mrgreg » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks all.

We are all familiar with setting the Joomla time zone via the admin console, and likewise, the user timezone.

In my front end application the same options we admins have are presented to the end users.
We have employees in 3 timezones, and customers in 4. That will never change unless we add employees from a 4th timezone.

It is my intention to remove all other zones from the front end and label those remaining 4 in a more user friendly manner. (PDT Pacific Daylight Time, MST Mountain Standard Time, CDT Central Daylight Time, and EDT Eastern Daylight Time)

I have identified what I might be tempted to call the offending code and short another solution may give effrit's suggestion a shot.

Code: Select all

$regions = [
	'Africa'     => DateTimeZone::AFRICA,
	'America'    => DateTimeZone::AMERICA,
	'Antarctica' => DateTimeZone::ANTARCTICA,
	'Aisa'       => DateTimeZone::ASIA,
	'Atlantic'   => DateTimeZone::ATLANTIC,
	'Europe'     => DateTimeZone::EUROPE,
	'Indian'     => DateTimeZone::INDIAN,
	'Pacific'    => DateTimeZone::PACIFIC
];

$timezones = [];
foreach ($regions as $name => $mask) {
	$zones = DateTimeZone::listIdentifiers($mask);
	foreach ($zones as $timezone) {
		$timezones[$name][$timezone] = $timezone;
	}
}

$actualTimezone = JFactory::getSession()->get('user-timezone', $displayData['dateHelper']->getDate()->getTimezone()->getName(), 'DPCalendar');
?>
<form action="<?php echo JUri::base(); ?>" method="get" class="dp-timezone dp-form">
	<span class="dp-timezone__label">
		<?php echo $displayData['translator']->translate('COM_DPCALENDAR_CHOOSE_TIMEZONE'); ?>:
	</span>
	<select name="tz" class="dp-select dp-timezone__select">
		<option value="UTC"<?php $actualTimezone == 'UTC' ? ' selected' : ''; ?>>
			<?php echo $displayData['translator']->translate('JLIB_FORM_VALUE_TIMEZONE_UTC'); ?>
		</option>
		<?php foreach ($timezones as $region => $list) { ?>
			<?php foreach ($list as $timezone => $name) { ?>
				<option value="<?php echo $timezone; ?>"<?php echo $actualTimezone == $timezone ? ' selected' : ''; ?>>
					<?php echo $displayData['translator']->translate($name); ?>
				</option>
			<?php } ?>
		<?php } ?>
	</select>
	<input type="hidden" name="task" value="profile.tz" class="dp-input dp-input-hidden">
	<input type="hidden" name="option" value="com_dpcalendar" class="dp-input dp-input-hidden">
	<input type="hidden" name="view" value="profile" class="dp-input dp-input-hidden">
	<input type="hidden" name="return" value="<?php echo base64_encode(JUri::getInstance()->toString()); ?>" class="dp-input dp-input-hidden">
</form>

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”