How to handle user login with htpasswd

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
dklbwf
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

How to handle user login with htpasswd

Post by dklbwf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Hey Joomla Fam!

I have a project and not sure what is the best method or if there is a extension out there to make this easy. I have a client whom has monthly paying customers that login to view different videos for paying customers only. They are using a payment processor company called Epoch which handles all the payments and they use a htpasswd file which is updated instantly as users are added/pay. Is there a extension or some method I can use to protect the files for paying members only against this htpasswd members file? Using AllVideoShare as the video gallery extension.

Thanks for any help!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: How to handle user login with htpasswd

Post by AMurray » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:37 am

I expect the best way would be to use Joomla's inbuilt user management functionality combined with a subscription or "paid content" component which gives subscribed members access to your protected content. Such a system will also then keep track of membership currency, and handle membership fee payments etc.

I'm not sure they utilise Epoch as a payment processing system though but the available extensions are at the links below - some are commercial/paid, some are free. Most probably have some form of demo to try them out on their vendor websites.

https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... downloads/
https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... criptions/.

If you changed over, I expect you'd first need to migrate payment data to another system, and also migrate user login information into Joomla itself. Whether these tasks are easy I couldn't say.

There's also the issue of the GDPR (if you are Europe-based or have EU customers) - I don't see using htaccess/htpasswd for User Data as easily administratable as Joomla's user system, and you can't take advantage of Joomla 3.9's Privacy plugins. Given the htpasswd file is generated (assumedly by Epoch) ???, I assume they have some way to be GDPR compliant, with the way their payment system works?

I don't know if this advice will help or hinder your efforts. :)
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”