Google Authenticator Codes not working

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
kimprather
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Google Authenticator Codes not working

Post by kimprather » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:25 am

I have Admin Tools installed on my Joomla site and have been using Google Authenticator for my Secret Key on the backend. Last week my codes just stopped working--same phone, same app--but each code is "invalid."

I keep locking myself out of the site completely due to too many incorrect logins (I am currently locked out and have to wait until my IP is unlocked to try again).

My host does not offer CPanel, so I don't have access to MyPHPAdmin or MySQL. I do have access to my files via FTP.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? I am getting desperate, as I'm looking at starting from scratch on the site and I really don't want to have to do that.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: cross post removed - read the forum rules from https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Google Authenticator Codes not working

Post by JAVesey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:19 pm

kimprather wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:25 am
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?
When I've seen this before the problem has been that the website's server time-zone and the timezone used by Authenticator are out of sync. They need to be in sync.

You can disable the Google authenticator plug-in in the database using phpMyAdmin (other database tools are available ;) )
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”