ISIS breaks partially or fully after Joomla version updates

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jgribble
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

ISIS breaks partially or fully after Joomla version updates

Post by jgribble » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:42 pm

I've read some existing posts on this but they are locked. We are currently at 3.813. We stopped there because of issues with the backend. Right now everything works. However, things get progressively worse if we try to go to 3.9. This does not at all effect the front end. That continues to work great. This site began way back when with Joomla 1.5. We have set Isis to default. However, Bluestork and Hathor also are installed. Thinking that the Isis template might be broken, I thought I'd give the jaAdmin template a try. The same issues occur, unfortunately. So, it is something affecting all admin templates. I wonder, are the two old legacy admin templates somehow causing the problem? Could it possibly by a PHP version issue? We really want to resolve this to always keep the CMS up to date. I welcome all thoughts and am attaching a screen shot of the global configurations, to show what I am talking about.
Thank you!
global.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: ISIS breaks partially or fully after Joomla version updates

Post by toivo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Have you tried refreshing the core files through Joomla! Update?

Usually issues after version updates are caused by obsolete or unsupported third party extensions.

Please post the results of the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions from viewtopic.php?f=806&t=969442.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:35 pm

jgribble wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:42 pm
We are currently at 3.8.13 ...
... which was released 9 months (and nine versions) ago.

jgribble wrote:
However, Bluestork and Hathor also are installed.
It's true that Hathor was included with J! 2.5 but it an updated version was created for J! 3.x. The problems that you may be having may be connected to Hathor ... but, then again, they may not. FYI, the J! development team decided not to maintain Hathor and you would be advised to not use this backend tempate. As far as bluestork is concerned, this template was designed for (and can only be used with) J! 2.5. I would recommend that you uninistall the bluestork template. You don't need it (and you shouldn't use it) with J! 3.x.

However, because your backend is a mess at the moment, it may be difficult for you to uninistall anything.

The same advice also applies to other J! extensions that you've installed that were designed for versions of Joomla before J! 3.x.

jgribble wrote:
Thinking that the Isis template might be broken ...
As long as people regularly maintain their websites and keep their software updated when new versions of J! are released, there's nothing to suggest that Isis is broken. I don't know anything about third-party administration templates, such as jaAdmin, and the risk of using them is entirely yours.

From the description of your problem, it appears that the backend template that you're trying to use is not loading the CSS file(s) that would properly display the admin menus, etc. There are many possible explanations for this. See, perhaps, https://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22CSS+not+loadin ... a+template

jgribble wrote:
Could it possibly by a PHP version issue?
FYI, over 90% of all problems reported on this forum are connected with people who continue to rely upon outdated and unsupported software. As far as PHP is concerned, see the following table that shows which versions of PHP are now supported as well as how many J! websites are using different—including unsupported—versions of PHP:

As @toivo wrote, it would be in your own interests to run the Forum Post Assistant diagnostic tool and post the report here.

I hope some of this helps.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

jgribble
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jgribble » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks so much for these replies! I am going to first try to uninstall the old admin templates. Then run a PHP check. We have tried hard to keep all apps updated, but sometimes things slip through the cracks. Sometimes even Joomla uninstall doesn't work and we have to into php myadmin. It also very may well be that there's old legacy junk that Joomla uninstall didn't fully delete. It's a common issue which a lot of people don't understand. Anyway I feel you have pointed me in some good directions, and I'm sure we'll get this problem licked.
-Jim Gribble, for Education Law Association

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SharkyKZ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Enable error reporting. If you can't save Global Configuration form, you'll have to manually edit configuration.php file.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”