fakes users signing up to my site, how do I stop it? Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
wacl3
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

fakes users signing up to my site, how do I stop it?

Post by wacl3 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi,
I am getting loads of fake users signing up to my site and not activating their accounts. Their user name are long links or group of text & advertising...

how do I stop it please?

thanks

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: fakes users signing up to my site, how do I stop it?

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:32 pm

The best extension that I've found to prevent "loads" of fake users registering their accounts is https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... alidation/

The best way to prevent fake users registering their accounts is to make new users pay a small fee (even one dollar) as part of the sign-up. In fact, if this approach was used here at forum.joomla.org there would be few (if any) fake registrations. Something for you to consider, perhaps?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am

CAPTCHA does not prevent fake user registrations; CAPTCHA may reduce the overall quantum of spurious accounts but it is ineffective against the kinds of sophisticated attacks we see today. If CAPTCHA "worked" then this forum would not have the twenty-plus fake user registrations created every day, would it?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 am

If the user registration is protected with Captcha most of the registrations this user refers at won't happen since they are bots (assuming they are not highly sophisticated bots which crack Captcha) as well. These though are large strings which show these are bot generated and these are different from the obvious Joomla forum users Sozzled refers at. A combination of extensions as referred at with Captcha will take care of most of it

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:48 am

As I wrote, this website (forum.joomla.org) is protected by CAPTCHA. Every day there are twenty and more spurious accounts created at this website.

By way of example, a website (not one that I own personally but one that I help manage) was getting a dozen or more fake accounts created on a daily basis. We used CAPTCHA; we used the Joomla user plugin with all kinds of fields required for verification. Nothing seemed to work; if anything, the number of fake account registrations only increased. I suggested using the "pre-registration check" plugin that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Overnight, the number of fake account registrations dropped to zero!

Most fake accounts are created by "'bots" (just like most of the fake accounts created at this website are bot-generated, too) using non-existent or disposable e-mail addresses (which is why they can't be traced back to their sources).

There's no perfect science to this. If people have websites and allow users to register at zero cost then, sooner or later (and probably sooner, rather than later), others will try to find weaknesses and attack those websites. It's just the nature of the internet, unfortunately. If there's an "admission fee" then this usually deters potential hackers from trying to create spurious accounts; not a guarantee by any means but I have not seen a website yet where there's a cost to join and there are daily reports of false/fake/spurious user accounts being created. Perhaps that's just my opinion but I base my opinions on personal, proven experience.

There's no silver bullet here. CAPTCHA is just one defence but I wouldn't rely on it.

wacl3
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wacl3 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:12 pm

thanks!!!
after months of about 400 new fake users joining my site daily, I installed and setup captcha this morning and as soon as I did, I have not had any fake, spam, new user sign up!!!...yeahhhhh!!!

thanks again all

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”