Cannot send emails via Gmail SMTP

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
d0ben
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Cannot send emails via Gmail SMTP

Post by d0ben » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:31 pm

I want to use Gmail's SMTP to send emails from (eg.: Joomla's built in contact form or other extensions - tried ALF Contact and Convert Forms). My Joomla version is Joomla! 3.9.11, all up-to-date.

I made sure that I enabled 2 factor authentication in Google settings and I created (and re-created) an App password, which I'm using in my Joomla settings. I am getting the below error when I have the this configured:
Annotation 2019-09-03 150816.png
Error
An error has occurred while fetching the JSON data: HTTP 405 status code. error
I tried STARTTLS with port 587, SSL with port 25, smtp-relay.gmail.com with port 465 or 587. Nothing. :( All errors out or times out. I've spent three days looking through anything I could find on Google and on here. Nothing helped so far. I'm at my wits end.

Is my host (Bluehost) blocking Gmail? Does it matter that my DNS is configured by GoDaddy?
Interestingly, I am able to use Google's API to send forms via Gmail on my other site using the same host and DNS provider, although that site is set up with Wordpress and it is using WP Mail SMTP by WPForms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Cannot send emails via Gmail SMTP

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:37 pm

https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

d0ben
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by d0ben » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Thank you for the linked thread. In my case the host is Bluehost, Godaddy only provided the domain name. I wonder if Bluehost is blocking Gmail the same way Godaddy does?

If that is the case, is there a guide on how to set up Sendmail or PHP mail as an alternative option?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Have you created a app password in gmail for Joomla to use?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”