Administrator Menu Module Disappeared Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Administrator Menu Module Disappeared

Post by LovesMtns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:18 am

My "Administrator Menu" module has vanished. Under "Manage Extensions", it is just not there. And in the "Modules" table, the "Admin Menu" is not there. It used to be, but vanished a couple of months ago. As a consequence, my backend has no top menu. What would usually say "System", "Users", "Menus", "Content", "Components", "Extensions" and "Help" is now all blank. I have tried the suggestions for others with this problem, but none of them addressed the "Administrator Menu" module just not being here at all. I am on the latest release of Joomla, 3.9.22. My PHP level is 7.3. I am using the ISIS administrator template, but the admin menu has disappeared no matter what template I use. Help!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Administrator Menu Module Disappeared

Post by AMurray » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:32 am

What is the last thing you did before this problem occurred? Can you restore from a backup?

Are you logged in with a super user account? If not, that would explain certain functions not being available, but not the entire menu module itself not being available.

Just curious, if you don't have the ability to change template, how do you change the template? (Aside frm directly in the database? You only really have two admin templates - Isis and Hathor - and Hathor is old and buggy, so I wouldn't use it anyway. How you would you install any other admin template to test as you ave said:....."no matter what template I use" - which templates are they?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:02 am

Use this URL to get to Modules Manager: /administrator/index.php?option=com_modules

Change filter from Site to Administrator. You should be able to create a new module instance.

LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LovesMtns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:44 pm

Quickly to Per Yngve Berg: I tried that, but no "Admin Menu" module is available. I don't know what to do next.

To A Murray: I did not add anything but content for the past few months, other than perhaps creating a new form using RSForms Pro. I have not played with the ACL at all. This is a quilters club website which has been used for many years (8?), and is fairly large with over 100 active users. I have been using Joomla since prior to the 1.5 days :). There are some "side" menu options which allow me to do a few things, such as get to Templates. However, I am unable to get to any of the COMPONENTS items, such as Joomla Update, etc. Here is a screenshot here to show you:

http://lovesmtns.com/index.php/37-scree ... rs-website

I am logged in as a Super Administrator, and using some of the items from the side, I was able to get to some functions such as templates and the Extension manager. Using that I installed a free "Administrator" template, with still no menu. So I went back to Isis. I use Joomla on a half dozen websites, and Isis works perfectly on all the others. I also had found (perusing the internet) the direct "modules" link that Per referenced, so was able to check out the modules. I also used Cpanel to get to the MySQL tables directly, which showed me the "Admin Menu" record is simply missing from this site. It exists on my other sites, I checked.

The one thing I have not tried (I just thought of it after I went to bed last night, is to restore to a good backup. I guess that will be my next step. There are about a dozen things added each month, so it will mean a good bit of re-adding and cleanup, but what I'm unsure what to do next :). Thanks for your help.

Roger Matthews

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:19 pm

In Menu Manager with the filter set to Administrator, there is a rebuild button in the Toolbar.

LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LovesMtns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank you Per. I just did that, but nothing changed. There is no "Admin Menu" module. In the "Modules" table, there is no "Admin Menu" record. There is an "Administrator Sub-Menu" module, but that is all. Thanks, but I'm still stuck :). My last good Akeeba backup was last April, so I guess I will try that. I have a backup from April and one from today. I can restore them both to different sites, and then "copy" the new data from the "today" broken site to the good new "April" site. It will be a few hours work, but then everything should be ok. Hey, thanks :). Weird that the Admin Menu just was erased from my system. But hey, their are lots of weird things in the world. Guess in the big picture, at least I have a way forward :).

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Extensions->Manage

Is the module listed? It may be disabled.

Extensions->Discover

Does anything show up? Have you checked that the files are present?

LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LovesMtns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:32 pm

No, the Admin Menu item not listed. And it does not show up under "Discover". I am not sure what "files" you mean :). Thanks :)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:23 pm

The files are in /administrator/modules/mod_menu.

LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LovesMtns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:09 pm

These are the files that show there:
http://lovesmtns.com/index.php/37-scree ... rs-website

LovesMtns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LovesMtns » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:14 am

This is a follow up, and this item I guess can be closed. I did indeed to a restore from an earlier backup to a temporary site, and then manually copied all the updated files from the existing site to the temporary site. Once the temporary site was fully updated, I backed it up again, deleted the main site, and restored it from the new backup. That was the hard way, but it fully fixed the problem. I guess my Joomla site got corrupted somehow, which is rare in my experience, thankfully. It is a pretty solid program.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”